REPORTS Week-Ending 12th August 2017

Aug 13 2017 12:02 PM


                                                                                Sponsored by

                                                     MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2017-18


The league season got underway on Friday Night when Glebe Rangers hosted Desertmartin and Cookstown RBL did likewise with Coagh United.

Saturday saw games in the 1st Round of the Steel & Sons Cup played with Bangor winning to go through but Dunloy and Chimney Corner made their exit by a single goal each.

Saturday Next will see the 1st round of the Irish Challenge Cup played with Nine teams from the league competing. Unfortunately in one of the Ties Glebe Rangers are at home to Bangor.




Wednesday 16th August 2017                                                           Kick off 7.00pm


St James Swifts                   v              Ballynure OB                      @ Woodlands. Finaghy Road North. Belfast

Chimney Corner                 v              Cookstown Youth                @ Allen Park. Antrim

Newtowne FC                        v              Glebe Rangers                     @ Scroggy Road PF. Limavady

Desertmartin                       v              Cookstown RBL                  @ Dromore Park. Desertmartin

Bangor                                  v              Brantwood                             @ Bangor Fuels Arena. Bangor ***

***(Kick Off 7.45pm)


Saturday 19th August 2017                                                               Kick off 2.00pm


Brantwood                             v              Desertmartin                       @ Skegoneil Avenue. Belfast

Cookstown Youth                v              Sofia Farmer                        @ MUSA. Cookstown                                        


Irish Cup 1st Round                                                                             Kick off 1.30pm

Windmill Stars FC             v              St James Swifts                   @ Holm Park. Ardmore

Glebe Rangers FC               v              Bangor                                  @ Riada Stadium. Ballymoney        

Seapatrick FC                      v              Ballynure OB                      @ Havelock Park. Banbridge

Cookstown RBL                  v              Dromara Village FC           @ Beechway PF. Cookstown

Hanover FC                           v              Chimney Corner                 @ Brownstown Park Arena. Portadown

Coagh United FC                 v              Ballymoney United              @ Hagan Park. Coagh

Dunloy FC                             v              Banbridge Rangers FC      @ McCamphill Park. Dunloy

Bangor Amateurs FC         v              Newtowne FC                        @ Ballyvarnet. Bangor                     





                GLEBE RANGERS                              3              DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              2

Glebe started off on attack taking the lead after Kris Nicholl scored on the 13th minute. Kris Nicholl doubled the Glebe advantage with his second goal on the 27th minute then Francis scored a third for Glebe on the 40th minute and this score remained at half-time. Desertmartin got back into the game after David Rowe scored on the 55th minute then a second goal scored by John Henry on the 65th minute saw the deficit cut to a single goal. After this Desertmartin went for the equaliser but Glebe held out for the win at the final whistle.

Referee Mr. Ronnie Allen


                COOKSTOWN RBL                          0              COAGH UNITED 7

This was certainly a tough baptism for RBL against last season’s champions. Coagh were in front after Aaron Campbell scored on the 1st minute then two goals scored by Daniel McKinless on the 7th and 14th minutes saw Coagh three goals in front. Half-time was almost reached when James Tomelty made it four nil on the 42nd minute. Daniel McKinless completed his hat-trick on the 49th minute followed by goals scored by Diago Inacio on the 62nd and William Ferguson on the 88th minutes.       Referee Mr. Barry Maxwell


                BRANTWOOD FC                             3              SOFIA FARMER 4

This was a seven goal thriller though it was an own goal that decided the result. Sofia went in front after Mamado  So scored on the 12th minute then two goal scored by Curtis Dempster on the 20th and 47th minutes saw Brantwood in front. Sofia hit back with two superb goals scored by Leonel Mendes on the 59th and 61st minutes to go in front again. Curtis Dempster completed his hat-trick on the 65th minute putting the teams back on level terms. After this Sofia had a mane sent off for a second yellow card then an own goal on the 85th minute by conceded by Brantwood saw Sofia take all three points.                Referee Mr. Mark McCurdy


                COOKSTOWN YOUTH                    1              NEWTOWNE FC                2

The Youth were making their debut in Intermediate Football and on this performance they will be no pushover for any team. Newtowne went in front after Paul McIvor scored on the 11th minute then followed this with his second goal for Newtowne on the 20th minute. The Youth came back and with the half-time whistle imminent Mark Megarry scored cutting the gap to a single goal. The second half saw both teams go looking for goals but it was the first-half goals that decided the result.     Referee Mr. Mark Irwin


                                                COUNTY ANTRIM STEEL & SONS CUP 1st ROUND

                CHIMNEY CORNER                          0              CLIFTONVILLE OLYMPIC             1 (After Extra Time)

Both teams created chances during the ninety minutes of normal time but alas no goals were scored. Extra-time was then played and with two minutes left to play Jack Mallon scored for the Olympic. The Corner then had a great chance to equalise in the dying seconds but failed losing by the single goal.


                                DUNLOY FC                        2              QUEENS UNIVERSITY      3

Dunloy had a great start to the game with Declan McGarry scoring on the 5th minute. Things then got better when John John McFerran scored a second goal for Dunloy on the 23rd minute. After this Queens came back into the game scoring twice before half-time putting the team’s level at the break. The second half saw little to choose between teh teams except Queens scoring a Third goal though Dunloy had a glorious chance to equalise in the last couple of minutes but the chance was missed.


                                BANGOR FC                       6              DONEGAL CELTIC            4 (After Penalties)

This was a pulsating game which went to q penalty kick shoot-out which Bangor won 5-3. Bangor took the lead through a goal scored by Keith Armstrong and led at half-time. Bangor then had a man sent off and Celtic scored the equaliser in the second half. No more goals were scored in extra-time with penalties then taken to decide the result.