REPORTS Week-Ending 11th March 2017

Mar 12 2017 9:55 PM


                                                                                Sponsored by

                                           MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2016-17


All games that were scheduled to be played were completed on Saturday though three matches had to be re-arranged to different grounds.

In the Intermediate Division Sofia Farmer heat Coagh United by the odd goal in nine in a thrilling game. Brantwood and Glebe shared the points at Skegoneil Avenue while Desertmartin beat Chimney Corner at Allen Park. Dunloy beat Magherafelt Sky Blues by the odd goal in five at Spires Park.

In the Crawford Cup Semi-Final Newtowne beat Newington YC Res while Ballynure OB beat Wakehurst on penalties in the 3rd Round of the same Competition.

In the Canada Trophy Semi-final Woodlands beat Antrim Rovers after penalties.





                MAGHERAFELT SKY BLUES         2              DUNLOY               3

This was a hum dinger of a game with the result in doubt right up to the final whistle. Dunloy went in front after Johh John McFerran converted a penalty on the 25th minute then on the 26th minute Con Boyle doubled the Dunloy advantage. Half-time was on the blow when Karl Fitzpatrick made it three nil for Dunloy on the 46th minute. The Sky Blues got back into the game after Paul Collins scored on the 64th minute followed by a second goal for the Sky Blues scored by Ciaran Monaghan on the 75th minute. After this the Sky Blues pushed hard for the equaliser but Dunloy defended their lead stoutly to the final whistle.                 Referee Mr. Barry Devenney


                                CHIMNEY CORNER          1              DESERTMARTIN               2

After a steady start by both teams the first goal in the game was scored by Chris Smylie putting the Corner in front on the 33rd minute. Half-time was almost reached when Dave Gibson scored the equaliser for Desertmartin on the 43rd minute. Desertmartin struck early in the second half with David McFadden scoring on the 48th minute putting them in front. After this the Corner went all-out for an equaliser but the Martins defended their advantage until the final whistle.            Referee Mr. Gerard Murray


                                BRANTWOOD                   1              GLEBE RANGERS              1

Both teams’ defences had the final say in this game which saw lots of good football but no so many goals. Chances came and went in the first-half but no goals had been scored at the break. Things changed on the 52nd minute after David Reid scored putting Glebe in front. Brantwood went looking for the equaliser but Glebe held firm until they conceded an own goal on the 85th minute which resulted in the team sharing the points.

Referee Mr. Jimmy Johnston


                                SOFIA FARMER                5              COAGH UNITED 4

What a game played on a slick 3g surface which allowed the ball to run fast and nine goals scored and a saved penalty.             Sofia went in front after Elton Caculo scored on the 18th minute then doubled their lead when Pedro Gomes scored on the 28th minute. Coagh replied to this with a brace of goals scored by Aaron Campbell on the 32nd and 41st minutes.  Sofia went in front again after Diogo Inacio scored on the 55th minute then Daniel McKinless equalised for Coagh on the 58th minute. Sofia were back in front again after Rene Matiko scored on the 69th minute before John Young scored for Coagh on the 78th minute. Coagh were then awarded a penalty on the 77th minute which was saved by Keeper Valter Monterio. Time was the running down fast when Elton Caculo scored what proved to be the winning goal for Sofia on the 88th minute and a Coagh player receiving a second yellow card after the final whistle.                  Referee Mr. Keith Halliday


                                                                 CRAWFORD CUP 2nd ROUND

                                WAKEHURST                     3              BALLYNURE OB                5              (After penalties)

Bothe these teams can certainly hold their own when it comes to scoring goals but on Saturday both of them drew a blank during the normal ninety minutes and twenty minutes of extra time. With no goals scored penalties were then introduced which saw Ballynure score their first and their Keeper Jonas Nicholl saving the first Wakehurst penalty. Ballynure went on to convert their next four and though Wakehurst scored their next three the saved penalty saw the result in favour of Ballynure. Wakehurst also had a player sent off during the extra-time.                Referee Mr. Noel Crossan


                                                                CRAWFORD CUP SEMI-FINAL

                                NEWTOWNE                       3              NEWINGTON YC RES      1                                             

This was a cracker of a game which saw both teams give it their all during the ninety minutes; Newington went in front after Joseph Meaney scored on the 7th minute then saw Blaine Morrison score the equaliser for Newtowne on the 15th minute. Half-time was almost on the blow when Paul McIvor put Newtowne in front on the 44th minute. Newtowne increased their lead after Ryan Logue scored on the 67th minute but after this Newtowne had a few anxious moments when pressurised by a Newington who certainly gave a good account of themselves.                Referee Mr. Gary Crawford





                MALLUSK ATHLETIC                      0              COOKSTOWN YOUTH                    4

The Youth were soon into their stride taking the lead after Ryan O’Neil scored on the 15th minute then doubling this lead when Mark Larmour scored on the 17th minute. Ryan O’Neil made it three nil after he scored on the 33rd minute and it became four nil after James Leslie scored on the 41st minute. The second half saw Mallusk more in the game but the Youth were content to sit on their four goal lead.             Referee Mr. Paul Aston


                COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               2              BRANTWOOD RES          0

The Olympic have hit a good vein of form of late and hopefully will take this into the final of the Mid-Ulster Shield on Easter Tuesday Morning. The Olympic went in front after James McGahan scored on the 6th minute and at half time this goal still separated the teams. James McGahan scored his second goal on the 61st minute which sealed the win for the Olympic. Referee Mr. Samuel Forsythe                            


                DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              2              SPOET & LEISURE S RES               4

Desertmartin went in front after Paul Gibson converted a penalty on the 15th minute then goals scored by Paul Ryan 27th minute and Mary McCann on the 38th minute saw the Sports in front at half-time. Ryan Campbell made it three one for the Sports on the 54th minute then Adam Scott pulled goal back for Desertmartin on the 82nd minute. Time was almost up when Marty McCann scored goal number four for the Sports.

Referee Mr. Rodney Campbell


                                FC WHITEABBEY              0              COOKSTOWN RBL          6

RBL went in front after Steve Purvis scored on the 3rd minute then were two ahead after Simon Young scored on the 17th minute. James McPartland made it three nil on the 30th minute followed by Jonny Ferguson scoring on the 44th minute. Simon Young scored his second goal on the 58th minute before James McParland scored his second on the 77th minute.                  Referee Mr. Lee Patterson



                                CASTLE STAR                   3              BALLYNURE OB ‘B’         3

Castle were early on attack taking the lead after Warren Brown scored on the 11th minute. Ballynure came back to equalise when Josh McIlroy scored on the 20th minute then went in front after Jordan Stirling scored on the 39th minute. Castle equalised on the 40th minute after Ballynure conceded an own goal leaving the teams level at the break. Castle went in front after Warren Brown scored his second goal on the 66th minute before Josh McIlroy got his second goal on the 79th minute giving the teams a share of the points at the final whistle.

Referee Mr. Richard Wilson


CLOUGH RANGERS ATHLETIC                   1              3rd BALLYCLARE OB       2

With the pitch at Clough waterlogged this game was switched to Pitch 4 at the Showground’s. It certainly begs the question as to what has happened to the Clough Pitch which is the newest within the Council Area. Both teams had a chance to score before Stuart Smyth scored putting Ballyclare in front on the 28th minute. Half-time saw the single goal still divide the teams and this remained until Richard Ross scored the equaliser for Clough on the 80th minute. Time was then running down fast when John Davey scored the winner for Ballyclare on the 89th minute.   Referee Mr. Tommy Waide



                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    2              RED STAR           1

With Stoneyhill Park under water this game was switched to Sandy Bay in Larne which was in very good condition. Chances came and went for both teams but at half-time no goals had been scored. The situation remained the same until James Henry scored for Red Star on the 64th minute. Carnlough came back with Ciaran Martin scoring on the 74th minute. Play then went into stoppage time when Declan McLaughlin popped up with the winner for Carnlough on the 91st minute.      Referee Mr. Kenny Bigger 


                BALLYCLARE NORTH END           5              1st CARRICKFERGUS OB                4

With Parkview not playable this game was switched to Beltoy PF in Carrickfergus. North End went in front after Eddie Kocherian scored on the 7th minute then doubled their lead after Craig Jenkins scored on the 20th minute. Steven Lewis pulled a goal back for 1st Carrick on the 24th minute then Eddie Kocherian scored his second goal in the game on the 33rd minute. Paul Morgan scored a second goal for 1st Carrick on the 39th minute followed by Chris Sands scoring the equaliser on the 46th minute. Harry Savage put North End back in front on the 48th minute before Chris Sands scored his second goal and equaliser on the 49th minute. After this both teams went for the winning goal which went to North End after Ryan Murray scored on the 72nd minute.

Referee Mr. Russell Kennedy


                                                68th OB ‘B’           2              SHORE ROAD YM             1

The 68th started off on attack and went in front after Ross McMahon scored. The 68th then doubled their lead after Paul Clarke scored but back came Shore Road with Jake Sloan scoring to narrow the gap before half-time. The surprising thing in the second half was that though chances were created by both teams no more goals were scored in the game.         Referee Mr. Brian Leitch


                                                                CANADA TROPHY SEMI-FINAL

                                WOODLANDS                    7              ANTRIM ROVERS             6  (After penalties)

It took a penalty shoot-out to decided this cup tie with the teams locked a two each after extra-time.

The Rovers went in front after Adam Connolly scored on the 60th minute then Alex Haggan scored the equaliser for Woodlands on the 69th minute. Extra-time was then played which saw Darryl McNeil put the Rovers back in front on the 95th minute. Time was then running out when Sammy Chambers hit home the equaliser for Woodlands on the 118th minute taking the game to penalties. In the penalty shoot-out Woodlands won by five to four.       Referee Mr. Trevor Higgins.             


FIXTURES Saturday 18th March 2017                           All games Kick off @ 2.00pm



Ballynure OB                      v              Sofia Farmer                        @ Mossley Park. Newtownabbey

Brantwood                             v              Desertmartin                       @ Skegoneil Avenue. Belfast                          

 Newtowne                                              Request free Date

Magherafelt Sky Blues                      Request free Date

Dunloy                                                   Request free Date

Wakehurst                                           Free

Chimney Corner                                 Free


O’Gorman Cup Semi-Final

Glebe Rangers                     v              Coagh United                        @ Joey Dunlop Centre. Ballymoney


Junior Divisions League Games


Desertmartin Swifts           v              Woodlands                            @ Dromore Park. Desertmartin

Cookstown Olympic            v              Rathcoole FC                        @ Beechway PF. Cookstown

Mallusk Athletic                 v              Cookstown RBL                  @ 3g Pitch Valley PF. Newtownabbey

Cookstown Youth                v              Antrim Rovers                     @ 3g Pitch MUSA. Cookstown

Brantwood Res                                     Free

Sport & Leisure S Res                      Request free Date

Newington YC Res                              Request free Date

FC Whiteabbey                                    Request free Date



Ballynure OB ‘B’                v              Mountainview FC @ Mosley Park. Newtownabbey

68th OB ‘A’                           v              Castle Star                           @ Threemilewater PF. Newtownabbey

Remo FC                               v              Cookstown RBL Res          @ Threemilewater PF. Newtownabbey

Remo to confirm of they can obtain Pitch??



Carnlough Swifts                v              Shore Road YM                    @ Stoneyhill Park. Ballymena Rd. Carnlough

Carnlough to confirm if they can obtain Pitch??

Whitehead Rangers            v              Ballyclare North End          @ Castleview Road. Whitehead

Red Star                                v              1st Carrickfergus OB        @ Woodburn PF. Carrickfergus

If both teams ok to play??