REPORTS Week-Ending 16th December 2017

Dec 17 2017 7:16 PM


                                                                                Sponsored by

                                                     MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2017-18


After a blank Saturday the previous week a number of teams got back into action on Saturday. Included were League and Cup games and in the Cup game Cookstown Youth recorded a very good win in the Crawford Cup over Brantwood by the odd goal in three.


Three of our Junior Teams lost out narrowly in Divisional Association Cup Games as follows: Castle Star lost by the only goal in the game against Portrush in the County Antrim Junior Shield. Desertmartin lost out by the odd goals in five against Dromore in the North West Junior Cup while Killymoon Rangers lost out in extra-time to Bessbrook United in the Mid-Ulster Shield.



Saturday 23rd December No Games are scheduled


Saturday 30th December.

One Intermediate League game Bangor FC v Glebe Rangers @ Bangor Fuels Arena Kick off 2.00pm

The League Officilas wish Everyone a Very Happy Christmas and Prosperous New Year





                                BANGOR FC                       4              COAGH UNITED 0

This was a big win for Bangor in their quest to get back to the NIFL Premier Intermediate League by topping the division at the end of Season and going direct to the PIL or at least be in a play off for the place available. Bangor went in front on the 10th minute after Dale Patton scored but were then held by Coagh until Gerard McMullan scored a second goal on the 67th minute. Coagh went looking for a goal after this and got caught with Ethan Boylan adding a third goal for Bangor to the 73rd minute. Time was then almost up when Gareth Beattie scored number four for Bangor on the 88th minute.     Referee Mr. Kyle Barr


                                NEWTOWNE FC                3              COOKSTOW RBL             0

Newtowne got off to a quick start with Paul McIvor scoring on the 6th minute but then had to wait until the 67th minute when Ian Crockett scored their second goal. RBL never gave up the chase but got caught when Andrew Ferris finished off a good Newtowne when he scored number three for Newtowne on the 79th minute.

Referee Mr. Darren Hylands


                                St JAMES SWIFTS            6              DESERTMARTIN               0

St James went in front after Eugene Gallagher scored then followed this with a second goal scored by Sean Pat Donnelly. Half-time was coming up when Steven McDonald scored a third goal for the Swifts giving them a good cushion at the break. The second half saw Desertmartin try hard to get back into the game during the first half-hour. The Swifts then brought on substitute Padraig McCormick who scored a hat-trick in a few minutes to kill off any hope Desertmartin had.                 Referee Mr. Keith Halliday


                                                       CRAWFORD CUP 2nd ROUND

                COOKSTOWN YOUTH                    2              BRANTWOOD       1

The Youth got an early goal in the game with Kiefer Scott scoring on the 8th minute then held their advantage until Curtis Dempster drilled a 25yard free kick in to the Youth net on the 30th minute. Half-time saw the teams still locked together at one each. Chances came and went for both teams then a long clearance by the Youth Keeper Luke Donaghy on the 79th minute saw the ball spin off the Brantwood Keeper and a defender into the net to win the game for the Youth,                    Referee Mr. Kevin Taggart                


                                                JUNIOR DIVISIONS LEAGUE GAMES


                3rd BALLYCLARE OB                       0              NEWINGTON YC RES                5

There was little to choose between the teams until an own goal concede by Ballyclare on the 37th minute saw Newington in front. After this Newington scored three goals in quick succession through Daniel White 40th minute, Daniel Moore 43rd minute and Paul Hanvey on the 45th minute. In the second half Ballyclare threw caution to the wind in an effort to get back into the game but Newington replied with a fifth goal scored by Pardep Hawa on the 60th minute.                     Referee Mr. Samuel Forsythe


                COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               1              ANTRIM ROVERS             1

Both teams had a few chances to score in this game but no goals had been scored at half-time Things changed on the 53rd minute after Craig Evans scored for Antrim this goal separating the teams until Liam Mullan scored the equaliser for the Olympic on the 87th minute.                Referee Mr. Gary Crawford



68th NEWTOWNABBEY OB ‘A’                     1              COOKSOWN RBL RES                   0

Plenty of chances were created by both teams during the first-half but none were taken resulting in no goals scored at half-time. A similar pattern of play was evident in the second half but this time one was taken when James McMillan scored what proved to be the winner for the 68th on the 75th minute.

Referee Mr. Paul Aston



                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    1              RATHCOOLE FC               6

A brace if goals scored by Alex Crawford on the 11th and 13th minutes saw Rathcoole in a strong position early in the game. Gary Dickson made it three nil on the 30th minute then scored his second on the 50th minute making it four nil. Alex Crawford completed his hat-trick on the 65th minute before Fintan McCallan scored for Carnlough on the 84th minute. Time was almost up when Jordan Armstrong scored a sixth goal for Rathcoole on the 89th minute.       Referee Mr. Paul Aston


                68th NEWTOWNABBEY OB ‘B’     1              GREENISLAND WM          11

Gary Kelly scored two goals on the 4th and 15th minute to put Greenisland in front. Three moiré goals followed scored by Jordan Topping, Josh Kelso and Ross Reid on the 23rd, 27th and 35th minutes. The 68th replied with Mark Smallwood scoring on the 60th minute. More goals followed scored by Robert Watterson 65th, Gary Kelly 75th and 78th, Jordan Hastings 76th, Andy Green 85th and Michael Jameson 89th minutes.

Referee Mr. Charlie Pollock


                                                NORTH WEST JUNIOR CUP 2nd ROUND

                DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              2              DROMORE          3

The visitors were early on the attack going on to score two goals without reply in the first-half. The Swifts got back on level terms after Ryan Brown and Solomon Lubwama scored on the 50th and 53rd minutes. Both teams had a chance or two after this and it was the visitors who got the all-important fifth goal to win the tie late in the


                                                        MID-ULSTER SHIELD 4th ROUND

                KILLYMOON RANGERS 0              BESSBROOK UNITED      3 (after extra-time)

This was very tight game for the normal ninety minutes and the first period of extra-time when no goals were scored. In the second period of extra-time the visitors hit a purple patch scoring three goals without reply.


                                          COUNTY ANTRIM JUNIOR SHIELD 4th ROUND

                                CASTLE STAR                   0              PORTRUSH         1

There was no difference between the teams during the first-half with them cancelling each other out in mid-field thus no goals were scored at half-time. The second half saw a similar pattern of play except when Castle failed to clear they ball on the 72nd minute and Portrush punished this by scoring the only goal in the game.