REPORTS Week-Ending 17th December 2016

Jan 4 2017 5:17 PM


                                                            Sponsored by

                                           MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2016-17


On Tuesday night Coagh United travelled to Newry City to play the semi-final of the Mid-Ulster Bob Radcliffe Cup. Against all the odds that had been stacked against them Coagh were victorious winning 8-7 in a penalty kick shoot-out after the teams we locked together at 2-2 after Extra Time


With the holiday season now upon us only four games were scheduled across the Four Divisions on Saturday.

One of these the Desertmartin v Ballynure OB Intermediate game fell victim to a frozen pitch In the games played Coagh United had a good away win over Brantwood and in the Division One derby game Cookstown Youth beat Cookstown Olympic by the odd goal in five. In the other Junior game played Antrim Rovers Swifts improved their position at the top of the table by defeating Carnlough Swifts at Sandy Bay in Larne.


The League Officials Wish Everyone a Very Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year




                                                BRANTWOOD                   1              COAGH UNITED 3

Brantwood were on the attack from the start taking the lead after Mark Tweedie scored on the 2nd minute. Coagh responded to this early goal on the 7th minute when Stefan Thompson saw his shot cannon off a Brantwood player and the ball ending up in the net. After this both teams tended to cancel each other out in mid-field and at half-time the score was still level. Brantwood had a great chance to go in front for a second time when awarded a penalty on the 58th minute bur Mark Tweedie saw William Hasson make a super save of his spot kick. The teams were still level as the game went into the 85th minute when Stefan Thompson struck with his second goal in the game putting Coagh in front. Brantwood then threw caution to the wind but got caught leaving Aaron Campbell to run in and seal the win for Coagh on the 87th minute.

Referee Mr. Damian Grimley


                                                MID-ULSTER BOB RADCLIFFE CUP SEMI-FINAL 

                                                NEWRY CITY                      9              COAGH UNITED 10 (After Penalties)

After all their trials and tribulations in having to travel to Newry on a Tuesday Night instead of a Saturday Coagh achieved an excellent result in the end. Coagh got off to a terrible start in conceding two early goals and were fortunate to be only two down at half-time. Coagh got back into the game on the 46th minute after Richard Donaghy scored. After this Coagh came well into the game getting an equaliser after Mark Taylor scored on the 70th minute. The end of normal time came and the teams were still level and this remained at the end of extra-time. Penalties were then taken with Coagh converting their first Eight penalties and then their Keeper William Hasson win the game for them when saving Newry City Eighth penalty





                                COOKSTOWN YOUTH                    3              COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               2

The Youth took an early lead in this derby game after Mark Larmour scored on the 4th minute then went two goals in front when Paul Stewart scored on the 18th minute. The Olympic got back into the game on the 21st minute when James McGahan scored with a well directed free kick on the 21st minute. Both teams then had a couple of good clear chances before Kiefer Scott scored for the Youth on the 43rd minute. The second half saw the Olympic push hard for goals but the Youth held firm until James McGahan scored his second goal on the 83rd minute leaving the Youth to win by a single goal.                      Referee Mr. Kenny Hayton



                                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    1              ANTRIM ROVERS SWIFTS            5

Antrim increased their lead at the top of the league table with this win and along with Brantwood-Loughside are setting the pace that others have to follow. Tommy Moffett put Antrim ahead on the 8th minute followed by goals scored by Darren Adair and Gary Wilkinson on the 15th and 17th minutes. Darren Adair made it four nil on the 23rd minute before Henry Morgan pulled a goal back for Carnlough on the 36th minute. The second half saw Carnlough go looking for goals but Antrim held firm then sealed the win after Gary Wilkinson scored his second goal in the game on the 78th minute.               Referee Mr. Brian Leitch


FIXTURES Monday 26th December 2016


Bob Radcliffe Cup Final


Coagh United                        v              Dollingstown        @ Loughgall


Kick off 11.00am