REPORTS Week-Ending 21st January 2017

Jan 22 2017 5:28 PM


                                                            Sponsored by

                                           MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2016-17


Only two games fell victim to the frosty weather at the week-end one of these being the IFA Intermediate Cup game between Banbridge Rangers v Newtowne. An early decision on this game was made by the Referee due to the distance Newtowne had to travel and one has to compliment the Referee for such a responsible action otherwise Newtowne may have made a long journey which would have cost them a sizeable sum of money in travel expenses.

There are times when decisions such as this may not be to the liking of players but you have to embrace responsible decisions when they are made




                                CHIMNEY CORNER          2              COAGH UNITED 5

The Corner drew first blood in this game with Keenan scoring on the 17thminute. Coagh replied to this with David McMullan scoring on the 23rd minute followed by Danny McKinless scoring on the 32nd minute.  Half-time was approaching fast when Danny McKinless scored his second goal on the 36th minute. The second half saw the Corner go all-out for goals but Coagh held firm at the back then sealed the win with a brace of goals scored by Aaron Campbell on the 85th and 93rd minutes. Referee Mr. Stephen Wallace


                                SOFIA FARMER                1              DESERTMARTIN               2

Sofia had teh better of the attacking play during the first-half but had only a goal scored by Milton Silva on the 25th minute to show for it at half-time. The second half saw Desertmartin come more into the game then an own goal conceded by Sofia on the 70th minute saw the teams back on level terms. After this both teams went looking for the winner which went the way of Desertmartin after Sammy Murray converted a penalty on the 82nd minute. Referee Mr. Gary Crawford


                                                                O’GORMAN CUP 1st ROUND

                                GLEBE RANGERS              2              BRANTWOOD                   1

Both teams had a chance or two to score before Mark Rainey scored to put Brantwood in front on the 31st minute. Brantwood then went down to ten men on the 33rd minute after having a player sent off. Half-time was almost reached when Chad Dobbin scored the equaliser for Glebe on the 42nd minute. The second half saw Glebe exploit the extra man and this paid off when Chad Dobbin scored his second goal in teh game on the 60th minute which at the end took Glebe into the next round of the competition.               Referee Mr. Paul Doherty

                                                                CRAWFORD CUP 3rd ROUND

                                RATHCOOLE FC               2              NEWINGTON YC RES      3

A semi-final place for the winners away to Newtowne was at stake in this game. Rathcoole got off to a great start with Aaron Lindsay scoring on the 10th minute and at half-time they still led by this goal. Aaron Lindsay scored his second goal on the 60th minute bur then saw Conal McKeown score for Newington on the 68th minute. After this Rathcoole had a man sent off and this cost them dear as goals scored by Daniel Moore on the 75th minute and Conal McKeown on the 84th minute booked Newington the semi-final spot.

Referee Mr. Brian Leitch


                                                                McREYNOLDS CUP 2nd ROUND

                BALLYNURE OLD BOYS                4              DUNLOY                               2

After a steady start by both teams Bobby Crowe scored on the 25th minute putting Ballynure into the lead. Dunloy replied to this with John John McFerran scoring the equaliser on the 35th minute and this score remained at half-time. Ballynure then hit a purple patch early in the second half with Robert Watson scoring a hat-trick of goals on the 56th, 60th and 65th minutes. Dunloy tried to get back into the game after this but Ballynure were past the post when Jon Campbell scored for Dunloy on the 84th minute.         Referee Mr. Steven McDonald


                                                IFA INTERMEDIATE CUP 3rd ROUND

                                LIMAVADY UNITED          5              MAGHERAFELT SKY BLUES         1

The Sky Blues were always in the game during the first-half and though going two goals down went in at half-time one down thanks to a goal scored by Brendan Larkin. Limavady scored a third goal early in the second half and sealed the win with two goals scored late on in the game


BANBRIDGE RANGERS                    v              NEWTOWNE

The Referee called off due to a frozen pitch on Saturday Morning. Newtowne appreciated the early decision as it saved them a lot of travel time and expense 


                                                                     JUNIOR DIVISIONS



                                COOKSTOWN RBL          1              WOODLANDS                    2

League leaders Woodlands had to come from behind to win this closely contested game. RBL went in front after Stevie Purvis scored on the 16th minute and held this lead until Alex Haggan equalised for Woodlands on the 42nd minute. Woodlands went in front after Steven McCullough scored on the 47th minute which ended up as the winning goal of the game.                     Referee Mr. Rodney Campbell


SPORT & LEISURE SWIFTS RES                2              ANTRIM ROVERS             3

Antrim were early into their stride on a fast slick 3g surface taking the lead after Jonny Rogers scored on the 11th minute. Sports came back and equalised after Gerard McCann scored on the 34th minute then went in front after Gerard McCann scored his second goal on the 36th minute. Antrim got back on level terms when Jonny Rogers scored his second goal on the 63rd minute. After this both teams went in search of the winning goal that went to Antrim after Darryl McNeil scored on the 76th minute though Gerard McCann saw his headed come off the crossbar on the 90th minute.               Referee Mr. Richard Stewart



                                MOUNTAINVIEW              1              3rd BALLYCLARE OB       4

Steve Howe put Ballyclare in front on the 5th minute but then had to with until the 40th minute when Steve Howe scored his second goal. Steve Howe completed his hat-trick on the 50th minute before Stuart McConnell scored number four for Ballyclare on the 62nd minute. Mountainview to their credit never gave up getting a goal back after Neil Anderson scored on the 66th minute but try as they did they could not break the Ballyclare defence again.            Referee Mr. Tommy Waide


                WAKEHURST STROLLERS           2              CASTLE STAR                   1

The castle took an early lead in this game with Andy Hall scoring on the 5th minute and held this advantage until George Fleck scored the equaliser on the 54th minute. The Strollers then went in front after Sam Burns scored on the 56th minute but had to defend well to hold this lead until the final whistle. Referee Mr. Samuel Forsythe            

                                                REMO FC             5              CLOUGH RANGERS ATHLETIC    2

Both teams had chances to score before James Brown opened the scoring for Remo on the 28th minute which was followed by Paul Magill scoring on the 37th minute to double the lead. James Brown scored his second goal on the 64th minute then Ricky Ross scored for Clough on the 65th minute. Clough got a second goal after Ryan Costly scored on the 75th minute but goals scored by James Brown to complete his hat-trick on the 76th minute and an own goal on the 80th minute sealed the win for Remo. Referee Mr. Charlie Pollock           



                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    5              1st CARRICKFERGUS OB                3             

Niall McAllister score to out Carnlough in front early in the game then Chris Sands equalised for Carrickfergus on the 16th minute. Carnlough then went two goals ahead before half-time scored by Alexander Johnston and Niall McAllister. Andy Hastings made it four one to Carnlough early in the second half before Steve Pettinger scored a second goal for Carrickfergus on the 70th minute. Henry Morgan scored to restore Carnlough three goal lead before David Clawson scored a third goal for Carrickfergus on the 85th minute. Referee Mr. Trevor Higgins


                                                RED STAR           1              WHITEHEAD RANGERS  2

There was nothing to choose between the teams until an own goal conceded by Whitehead on the 35th minute put Red Star in front. Whitehead got back on level terms after Jon Pawson scored on the 51st minute then Whitehead had a penalty saved by the Red Star keeper on the 80th minute. Time was running down when Stuart Thompson scored on the 84th minute to give Whitehead full points at the final whistle.

Referee Mr. Russell Kennedy


                BRANTWOOD-LOUGHSIDE          8              BALLYCLARE NORTH END           1

Brantwood raced into a two goal lead with goals scored by Steven Leckey on the 4th minute and Jason Prowse on the 8th minute. Three more goals scored by Colin Watters 29th, Sam Dykes 32nd and Steven Leckey on the 43rd minutes saw Brantwood five goals clear at half-time. Stewart Moore made it six nil on the 50th minute before Steven Leckey completed his hat-trick on the 52nd minute. Eddie Kocherian got a goal for North End on the 66th minute before Steven Leckey scored his fourth goal in the game on the 71st minute.

Referee Mr. Lee Patterson


                                                        MID-ULSTER SHIELD QUARTER FINAL

                COOKSTOWN YOUTH                    2              COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               3

A semi-final was a stake in this game and it was unfortunate one of these two teams had to lose out as both would have had great chance of reaching the semi-finals with a different draw. The Olympic got off to a great start with Tiernan Brennan scoring on the 2nd minute and followed this up with Liam Mullan scoring a second goal on the 15th minute The Youth got back into the game after Jonny O’Neil scored on the 28th minute and were back on level terms after Mark Megarry scored on the 40th minute. The second half saw both teams go all-out for the winning goal which went the way of the Olympic when Michael Meenan hit a superb 20 yards free kick into the top corner of the Youth net on the 75th minute.


                                                                NORTH WEST JUNIOR CUP

                DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              6              IRISH STREET                    7              (After extra time)

The swifts threw this game away as they were leading by three clear goals with seven minutes of normal time left to play. The Swifts went a goal down on the 8th minute then scored four goals through Solomon Lubwama 20th, Conor Stewart 25th, Steve McIlhatton 35th and Paul Gibson Penalty 55th minutes. Irish Street pulled a goal back on the 47th minute. Paul Gibson scored for the Swifts on the 65th minute putting them three goals clear. Irish Street came back with goals scored on the 83rd, 85th and 90th minutes to take the game into extra time when they scored two goals against one by the Swifts to claim the win.



FIXTURES Saturday 28th January 2017                        All games kick off @2.00pm unless where stated

Intermediate league

Coagh United                        v              Dunloy                                   @ Hagan Park. Coagh

Chimney Corner                 v              Wakehurst                           @ Allen Park. Antrim

Desertmartin                       v              Ballynure OB                      @ Dromore Park. Desertmartin

Magherafelt Sky Blues      v              Glebe Rangers                     @ Spires Park. Magherafelt


Brantwood                                             Free

Sofia Farmer                                        Free


IFA Intermediate Cup 3rd Round                                                      Kick off 1.30pm

Banbridge Rangers            v              Newtowne                              @ Cheney Park. Banbridge


Junior Division League


Cookstown Olympic            v              Mallusk Athletic                 @ Beechway PF. Cookstown

Cookstown Youth                v              Cookstown RBL @ 3g Pitch MUSA. Cookstown

Newington YC Res              v              Sport & Leisure S Res      @ 3g Pitch Valley PF. Newtownabbey


Brantwood Res                                     Request Free Date

Desertmartin Swifts                           Free       

FC Whiteabbey                                    Free

Woodlands                                            Free



3rd Ballyclare OB                v              68th OB ‘A’                           @ Foundry Lane. Ballyclare

Wakehurst Strollers         v              Ballynure OB ‘B’                @ 3g Pitch. Ballymena Showground’s

Remo FC                               v              Mountainview                       @ Threemilewater PF. Newtownabbey

Clough Rangers Ath          v              Castle Star                           @ Clough PF. Cloughwater Road. Clough

Cookstown RBL Res                          Free



Shore Road YM                    v              Whitehead Rangers            @ Loughside PF. Shore Road. Belfast

68th OB ‘B’                           v              Carnlough Swifts                @ Threemilewater PF. Newtownabbey

Red Star                                v              Ballyclare North End          @ Woodburn PF. Carrickfergus


Brantwood-Loughside                        Request free Date

Antrim Rovers Swifts                         Free

1st Carrickfergus OB                        Free


Canada Trophy 3rd Round                                                  Kick off 1.30pm

Antrim Rovers                     v              Rathcoole FC                        @ Forum PF or Allen Park. Antrim