REPORTS Week-Ending 24th October 2015

Oct 29 2015 8:56 AM


                                                            Sponsored by


        SEASON 2015-16


Six teams from the league were involved in the Prelim Round of the IFA Intermediate Cup on Saturday with Rathcoole FC, Desertmartin and Brantwood winning through to the nest round.

Saturday also saw seven of the League Junior teams playing in the 2nd Round of the County Antrim Junior Shield with Sport & Leisure Swifts Res, Newington YC II and Mountainview making it through to the 3rd Round.


                                                                                LEAGUE GAMES

                KILLYMOON RANGERS                 1              BALLYNURE OLD BOYS                6

With this win Ballynure kept the pressure on the other teams in a bid to retain their league championship crown. Ballynure went in front after Josh McIlroy scored on the 8th minute and followed this up with a second goal scored by Ricky Higgins on the 22nd minute. Half-time was approaching when Ballynure extended their lead to four goals scored by Paul McIntyre and Ricky Higgins on the 36th and 40th minute. Killymoon had a chance to reduce the deficit after this but their penalty hit the post then as the half-time whistle was being blown both teams were reduced to ten men each having a man sent off. Early in the second half Geoff Booth scored for Killymoon on the 48th minute followed by David Higgins replying for Ballynure scoring on the 55th minute. No more goals were scored after this until with time running out Robert Houston scored number six for Ballynure on the 90th minute.         Referee Mr. Paul Douglas


                                                IFA INTERMEDIATE CUP PRELIM ROUND

                                                SHANKILL UNITED           3              NEWTOWNE       2

Shankill raced into a three nil lead inside the first twenty minutes of the game. Newtowne came back to score through Gerard Logue on the 25th minute and Conor Logue on the 85th minute but the damage had already been done early in the first-half.

                MAGHERAFELT SKY BLUES                         2              St PATRICKS YM              5

The visitors took a three nil lead in this game before Liam Brady scored for the Sky Blues. The YM made it four one before Stevie O’Neil scored for the Sky Blues to make it four two. Time was then running down when the YM scored a fifth goal. The game itself was held up at half-time for quite some time as an ambulance had to be called to take the Sky Blues young keeper Ronan Cassidy to hospital as he suffered a spam and had breathing difficulties. Thankfully Ronan got home on Saturday evening and we all wish him well.

                                                SEAGOE                               1              DESERTMARTIN               3

The Martins struck the first blow in this game with David Gibson scoring on the 15th minute and this score remained at half-time. Mark Scott doubled the Martins lead on the 55th minute followed by Andy Kelso converting a Penalty on the 80th minute. Seagoe pulled a goal back on the 82nd minute but by then the Martins were past the post.

                                                BRANTWOOD                   4              RATHFERN RANGERS                     1

Brantwood went in front after Kenny Grealey scored on the 23rd minute then doubled their advantage after Tony Burns scored on the 32nd minute. Half-time saw Brantwood still two goals clear which became three after Ricky McAuley scored on the 64th minute. The Rangers pulled a goal back from the penalty spot on the 82nd minute then up popped Tony Burns with his second goal on the 85th minute sealing the win for Brantwood.

                                                DUNLOY                               2              KILLYLEAGH YC               3

The visitors went in front in this game then goals scored by John John McFerran and Neil Fleming saw Dunloy in front and they should have extended this advantage more than once before half-time. The second half saw Killyleagh the more dominant team scoring twice to win a game they could so very easily have lost.

                                                LURGAN TOWN                5              RATHCOOLE FC               6 (After penalties)

This tie went to a penalty kick shoot-out with the teams being level at three each after extra time. Rathcoole goals were scored in normal play by Brian Black (2) and Darren Crosby. In the penalty shoot-out Rathcoole were victorious with penalties scored by Brian Black, Darren Crosby and Aaron Lindsay with their opponents scoring two.  


                                                                                   LEAGUE GAMES

                                                                                      Division One

                COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC                               3              WOODLANDS        1         

Woodlands went in at half-time leading through a goal scored by Jonny Parkes on the 30th minute but it could have been two nil only they missed a penalty kick on the 40th minute. Ryan Bloomer scored the equaliser for the Olympic on the 55th minute and this scoreline remained until Liam Mullan scored for the Olympic on the 80th minute. Woodlands had to chase the game after this and got caught by the Olympic with Niall Doyle scoring their third goal on the 86th minute to seal the win.                              Referee Mr. Rodney Campbell

                BALLYNURE COMRADES RES     6              FC WHITEABBEY              0

The Comrades under new manager Ronnie Burns are beginning to make the presence felt and this win takes then to the top of the league table. James McMullan scored the first goal on the 5th minute then goals scored by Michael Haskins and Chris Crowe on the 25th and 38th minutes saw the Comrades three clear at half-time. A brace of goals scored by Ryan McIlrath on the 48th and 70th minute killed off any hopes the visitors had then the final goal was scored by Ross Davidson on the 84th minute,                           Referee Mr. Tommy Waide               


                                                                                     Division Two

                BALLYCLARE NORTH END                           2              BRANTWOOD RES          9

Brantwood went in leading by four goals to nil at half-time then four more goals saw them lead by eight. Brantwood goals were scored by Martin McCann (4), Sam Morgan (2), Gareth McAuley (2) and Junior Long. North End pulled two goals back when Gareth Millar and Gary Black scored.  Referee Mr. Brian Leitch

                                MOYOLA PARK OLYMPIC            V             LARNE OLYMPIC

Game not played as referee deemed pitch unplayable.


                                                                                     Division Three

                                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    1              KCC ATHLETIC 1

This game was brought to a halt on the 40th minute after a heavy rain shower which made the conditions unplayable and in the interests of player safety the referee called a halt to proceedings. Jim Cheadle had scored for KCC on the 8th minute and Brian McDermott had scored the equaliser for Carnlough before the stoppage of play.   Referee Mr. Samuel Forsythe

                                HILLHEAD EAGLES                          1              1st CARRICKFERGUS OB                6

The Old Boys went in front after Marcus Livingstone scored on the 5th minute then increased their advantage with goals scored by John Keys and Stewart Pettinger on the 27th and 33rd minutes. Tom Gillespie pulled a goal back for the Eagles on the 42nd minute then straight after half-time Ryan Clawson scored for the Old Boys on the 46th minute. The Eagles tried hard to get back into the game after this but goals scored by Ryan Clawson and Tom Simms on the 71st and 85th minutes ensured the Old Boys good run continues. Referee Mr. Kenny Hayton

                3rd BALLYCLARE OLD BOYS                       1              CASTLE STAR        3

This was the first defeat of the season for Ballyclare who went behind after Nathan Poulter scored for Castle on the 11th minute and at half-time this goal still separated the teams. Castle extended their lead on the 75th minute when Lloyd Watters scored then on the 77th minute Andy Davies made it three nil. Ballyclare never gave up the chase but it was too later when Andy Gilmore scored on the 85th minute.                Referee Mr. Adrian Dodds

                                                CARRICK THISTLE          1              ANTRIM ROVERS SWIFTS            2

This as a good game between two evenly matched teams with the winner being scored let in the game. The Thistle went in front after Phil Crozier converted a penalty on the 25th minute only to see Jamie Jackson cancel this out when he scored for the Swifts on the 30th minute. Half-time saw the teams still on level terms and though both had a couple of good chances the only goal scored in the second half was by Tommy Moffett on the 80th minute to win the game for the Swifts.                             Referee Mr. Trevor Higgins

                                                RED STAR                           3              BRANTWOOD-LOUGHSIDE          2

This was a good game which was abandoned by the referee on the 63rd minute after he sent off two Brantwood players and received harassment from other Brantwood players. Brantwood went in front after Lee Rossi scored on the 2nd minute then added a second goal on the 5th minute. Red Star got back into the game after Stuart Mulligan scored on the 28th minute and got back level after Steve Bittles scored on the 40th minute. Red Star went in front after Karl Merritt scored on the 47th minute. Play then continued for a spell before the two sending offs and abandonment which will ne be discussed and decided on by the County Antrim FA and The League Committee.  Referee Mr. Lee Patterson


                                                COUNTY ANTRIM JUNIOR SHIELD 2nd ROUND

                SPORT & LEISURE SWIFTS RES 6              DERVOCK UNITED           4

The Sports went behind then Gerard McCann equalised before Dervock went in front for a second time. Ciaran Flynn equalised for the Sports who then went two goals behind. The Sports the hit back with Gerard McCann scoring another three goals putting them ahead and with time running out Sean McKernan scored the final goal.

                                NEWINGTON YC II                            4              FORD FC              3              (After Penalties)

This was a titanic tussle between two evenly matched teams and ended with Newington claiming the win. No goals were scored during the first ninety minutes then Ford went in front in the second period of extra time. The game was in the last minute when Roy Hunter scored the equalising goal for Newington to take the game to penalties which Newington won 3 to one.

                                CUMAIN SPOIRTS AP                     8              CARNMONEY FC               0

Carnmoney never really got into this game against a well organised team conceding eight goals without reply

                                CLOUGH RANGERS                         10           BALLYNURE OLD BOYS ‘B’          0

This is a game Ballynure will want to forget about as they conceded five goals in each half and rarely raised any opposition to the Rangers

                                                REMO FC                             2              BALLYBOGEY                    4

Remo went behind in this game the goals either side of half-time scored by Jason Bannon saw the in front. Ballybogey equalised in the second half than two converted penalties by Ballybogey saw them win

                                WAKEHURST STROLLERS           0              WELLINGTON REC II       1

It was the defence of both teams who dictated the pace of play in this game resulting in few clear goalscoring chances throughout. As it was it ended with a solitary goal scored scored by Wellington that decided the outcome of the game.

                                                MOUNTAINVIEW              2              ABBEYVIEW       0

Mountainview always had the winning of this game and a brace of goals scored by Adam Devenney was enough to see them safely through to the next round.


                                                                MID-ULSER SHIELD 2nd ROUND

                                COAGH UNITED RES                        1              COOKSTOWN RBL          0

This was a closely fought encounter and at the end of a good game Coagh shaded the result by the only goal scored.

                                DAMOLLY UNITED                           4              COOKSTOWN YOUTH      6

Damolly scored on the 1st and 20th minutes then the Youths came back with goals scored by James Leslie and Ryan Glasgow on the 25th and 35th minutes Jamie O’Neil scored on the 42nd minute putting the Youths in front before Damolly equalised on the 44th minute. Damolly went in front again on the 50th minute then Aidan Doyle equalised for the Youths on the 65th minute. The Youths went on to score two more goals through Ricky McMenemy and Drew Kelly on the 70th and 80th minutes to seal the win.