REPORTS Week-Ending 25th March 2017

Mar 27 2017 1:24 PM


                                                                                Sponsored by

                                           MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2016-17


With the weather fine on Friday and Saturday all game scheduled to be played were completed except for Magherafelt Sky Blues not being able to fulfil their fixture against Coagh United at Spires Park.

A decision on this game will now be made by “The Committee” of the league.

With the race for league honours it appears to be a close run in all four divisions with a number of teams still in with a chance of lifting a Title






                                DUNLOY                               2              CHIMNEY CORNER          4

The Corner notched up their first win of the season at McCamphill Park after getting off to a great start with Tony McDaid scoring on the 6th minute a goal that still separated the teams at half-time. Dunloy got back on level terms after Declan McGarry scored on the 57th minute. The Corner went in front for a second time after Aidy Swann scored on the 59th minute then saw John John McFerran equalise for Dunloy on the 67th minute. The Corner went in front for a third time after Sean McCashin scored on the 76th minute then a fourth goal scored by Davy Swann on the 87thminute secured the win.     Referee Mr. Ben McMaster


                                WAKEHURST                     2              BALLYNURE OB                1

Wakehurst kept in the league title hunt with this win though it was an injury time goal that won them the game. Chances came and went for both teams but no goals had been scored at half-time. A similar pattern of play followed in the second half until Conor Ross scored for Wakehurst on the 72nd minute then Ballynure hit back with Michael Duff scoring the equaliser on the 85th minute. Play then went into stoppage time with Andy Laughlin scoring the winner for Wakehurst on the 92rd minute.   Referee Mr. Stephen Wallace


                                NEWTOWNE                       3              BRANTWOOD        0

Both teams played it tight at the start of the game then on the 24th minute Blaine Morrison opened the scoring for Newtowne. Newtowne went two goals in front after Jack Heaney scored on the 39th minute doubling their advantage at half-time. Brantwood tried hard to get back into the game at the start of the second half but conceded another goal when Ryan Twist scored for Newtowne on the 56th minute. Brantwood to their credit never gave up the chase but at the end Newtowne collected all three points.            Referee Mr. Gary Crawford


                                DESERTMARTIN               0              GLEBE RANGERS              3

Glebe got off to a quick start taking the lead after Chad Dobbin scored on the 7th minute. After this play settled down and though both teams had a chance or two to score this goal separated the teams at half-time. The second half was a nip and tuck affair with Desertmartin seeking the equaliser and Glebe hitting on the break. Time was beginning to run down when Ian Christie scored on the 78th minute putting Glebe two goals in front which then became three after Ian Christie scored his second goal on the 84th minute.  Referee Mr. Allay Burns





                BRANTWOOD RES                          3              SPORT &LEISURE SWIFTS RES  5

The Sports got off to an early start with Steven O’Donnell scoring on the 5th minute. Brantwood replied to this with Anthony Philpott scoring on the 19th minute. Steven O’Donnell scored his second goal on the 22nd minute only to see the teams back level after Sports conceded an own goal on the 30th minute. Brantwood went in front after Tony Burns scored on the 49th minute. Sports got back level after Paul Ryan scored on the 53rd minute then went back in front after Paul Ryan converted a penalty on the 69th minute. Sports then secured the win after Kieran McKissock scored on the 80th minute.                Referee Mr. Tommy Waide


                                WOODLANDS                    1              COOKSTOWN RBL          0

A win was essential for Woodlands in this game after losing at Desertmartin the previous week in their quest to win the league title. RBL certainly did not make it easy for Woodlands and at the end of a close game had to thank a goal scored by Raymond Hammond on the 50th minute to secure the win.   

Referee Mr. Lee Patterson


                                RATHCOOLE FC               5              COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               2

These two teams shared six goals and the points the previous Saturday but this time round Rathcoole with three late goals in the second half collected all three points. Jon Wilson put Rathcoole in front on the 17th minute then Nigel Johnston equalised for the Olympic on the 24th minute. Brian Black put Rathcoole back in front on the 28th minute then Nigel Johnstown scored the equaliser on the 55th minute. Play was then in the 77th minute when the Olympic conceded an own goal followed by goals scored for Rathcoole by Ross Watters 90th minute and Max Eden 94th minute.         Referee Mr. Paul Aston


                                ANTRIM ROVERS             5              DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              0

This match was a personal triumph for the Rovers player Glenn Vance who scored four goals in the game. Glenn Vance scored his first goal on the 8th minute then followed this with goals on the 26th, 40th and 41st minutes. The Swifts never recovered from this and conceded another goal scored by Jordan McKelvey on the 93rd minute.   Referee Mr. Bert Purdy


                                FC WHITEABBEY              7              MALLUSK ATHLETIC      0

Whiteabbey were certainly on song in this game taking the lead after Dave Fennell scored on the 6th minute. Ryan O’Neil scored number two on the 15th minute followed by Robert Tourish on the 26th minute and Ryan O’Neil on the 34th minute.  Michael Coiley added two more goal on the 77th and 79th minutes before Ryan O’Neil completed his hat-trick on the 90th minute.  Referee Mr. Rodney Campbell



                3rd BALLYCLARE OB                       5              MOUNTAINVIEW              1             

The first forty five minutes was a close game and at half-time the difference between the teams was a goal scored for Ballyclare by Sammy Duff. Marc Campbell added to this on the 47th minute before Jonny Shields pulled a goal back for Mountainview from the penalty spot. Ballyclare then went on to score three more goals scored by Sammy Duff, Marc Campbell and Stevie Howie without reply.         Referee Mr. Trevor Higgins



                ANTRIM ROVERS SWIFTS            3              BALLYCLARE NORTH END           3

A win was a must from this game for the Swifts who would then have to hope North End would defeat Brantwood-Loughside by a large margin in Brantwood last game for the Swifts to win the Title on goal difference. North End had other ideas and on a slick 3g surface got off to a great start when Kenny Lutton put them in front on the 18th minute. North End doubled their lead after Anton McCrudden scored on the 20th minute. Ryan Worthington got a goal back for the Swifts on the 56th minute followed by Gary Wilkinson scoring the equaliser on the 61st minute. Aaron Clearkin scored on the 68th minute putting the Swifts in front only to see Craig Jenkins score the equaliser for North End on the 88th minute.     Referee Mr. Russell Wilson


                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    3              WHITEHEAD RANGERS  1

Carnlough went in front after Henry Morgan scored on the 14th minute and were still a goal ahead when they had a played dismissed for a second yellow card on the 40th minute. Half-time saw Carnlough still in front then on the 61st minute Stuart Thompson scored the equaliser for the Rangers.  Play was then beginning to run down when Liam Mulvenna scored putting Carnlough back in front which was then followed by a third goal scored by Niall McAllister on the 88th minute.                     Referee Mr. Samuel Forsythe            


                                                               CANADA TROPHY SEMI-FINAL

                NEWINGTON YC RES                      4              COOKSTOWN YOUTH                    6

This was certainly a high scoring game and Newington will look back and rue missing two penalty kicks which the Youth Keeper saved during the game. Sean Moore opened teh scoring for Newington on the 19th minute then Kiefer Scott with a brace of goals on the 21st and 22nd minutes put the Youth in front. Goals scored by Jon McKenna and Ryan O’Neil on the 23rd and 27th minutes saw the Youth go three goals clear. Michael McArdle pulled goal back for Newington on the 34th minute before Mark Megarry scored for the Youth on the 40th minute. Niall Southam and Conal McKeown scored for Newington on the 46th and 67th minutes cutting the deficit to a single goal. Play was into the last few minutes when Mark Larmour sealed the win for the Youth scoring on the 86th minute.                             Referee Mr. Kenny Hayton


FIXTURES Week- Ending Saturday 1st April 2017


Friday 31st March 2017


Linda Welshman Memorial Cup Final                                            Kick off 6.45pm

Carnlough Swifts                v              3rd Ballyclare OB                @ TBC

Cancelled                                              Potential ground with Lights not Available


Saturday 1st April 2017



Ballynure OB                      v              Desertmartin                       @ Mossley Park. Newtownabbey

Chimney Corner v              Magherafelt Sky Blues      @ Allen Park. Antrim

Glebe Rangers                     v              Sofia Farmer                        @ Joey Dunlop Centre. Ballymena

Coagh United                        v              Brantwood                             @ Hagan Park. Coagh

Newtowne                                              Free

O’Gorman Cup Semi-Final

Wakehurst                           v              Dunloy                                   @ 3g Pitch. Ballymena Showground’s          


Saturday 1st April 2017

Junior Division League Games


Desertmartin Swifts           v              Rathcoole FC                        @ Dromore Park. Desertmartin

Newington YC Res              v              Cookstown Olympic            @ 3g Pitch Valley PF. Newtownabbey

Woodlands                            v              Antrim Rovers                     @ Woodlands PF. Carrickfergus

Cookstown RBL                  v              Cookstown Youth                @ Beechway PF. Cookstown



Ballynure OB                      v              68th OB ‘A’                           @ Parkview Hockey Club. Doagh




No games scheduled