REPORTS Week-Ending 28th October 2017

Oct 29 2017 6:56 PM


                                                                                Sponsored by

                                                     MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2017-18


Glebe Rangers lost out to a sudden death penalty kick in the Quarter-final of the County Antrim Steel & Sons Cup. Glebe had the opportunity to win the game when leading by three one against ten men in the second half but failed to shut the game down for the win resulting in the penalty loss.


In the Intermediate Division Sofia Farmer by virtue of a two nil win at Bangor saw take over at the top of the league table by two points from Glebe Rangers with Bangor in 3rd place.

In Junior Division One Woodlands suffered their first league defeat of the season away to Antrim Rovers while Newington YC Res had home win over Brantwood Res to close the gap on Woodlands.

In Junior Two with Killymoon and Clough Rangers were not in league action saw Mallusk Athletic with a home win over 68th Newtownabbey OB closed the gap on them at the top of the table

Rathcoole leaders in Junior Three were not in action and saw North Belfast United close the gap after a two nil win over Carnlough Swifts



The deepest sympathy from everyone within the league is extended to the Greenisland WM player James McCullough and his family on the Death of his Mother




                                BANGOR FC                       0              SOFIA FARMER 2

Bangor went into the game knowing a win would see them overtake Glebe Rangers on goal difference at the top of the table while Sofia new a clear win would see them go top by two clear points over Glebe Rangers. After a good start by both teams Sofia went in front after Ezequiel De Jesus scored on the 9th minute from close range. Both teams had a chance to score before half-time with the one goal separated the teams at the break. The pace of the game was fast in the second half with Bangor going for the equaliser and Sofia hitting on the break. Time was then running down when Luis Dias ran in to score a second for Sofia on the 82nd minute to secure the win.

Referee Mr. Mark Domican


                                BRANTWOOD                   0              NEWTOWNE       3

The first half-saw little to choose between the teams other than a goal scored by Declan Logue on the 42nd minute putting Newtowne in front at half-time.  Brantwood went for the equaliser in the second half but got caught with Billy Dorans nipping in to score a second goal for Newtowne on the 60th minute. Time was then running down fast when Blain Morrison scored a third goal for Newtowne on the 86th minute.

Referee Mr. Matthew Goodrike


                                COAGH UITED                    6              DESERTMARTIN               0

After a steady start by both teams Coagh took the lead through a goal scored by James Tumelty on the 27th minute then added a second scored by Danny McKinless on the 38th minute to lead two nil at the break. Danny McKinless went on to complete his hat-trick with goals on the 69th and 86th minutes before Mark Taylor scored on the 88th minute. The game was then in the 90th minute when Danny McKinless scored his fourth goal in the game from the penalty spot.         Referee Mr. Niall Gallagher


                                COOKSTOWN YOUTH    2              BALLYNURE OB                0

Cookstown overcame the conditions on a fast 3g pitch then Ballynure but at half-time no goals g=had been scored by either team. Things then changed when Danny McIlhatton scored for the Youth on the 53rd minute thus Ballynure had to chase the game. Time was almost reached when Kiefer Scott ensured the win for the Youth when he scored on the87th minute.                            Referee Mr. Samuel Forsythe


                                NEWINGTON YC               7              GLEBE RANGERS              6 (After Penalties)

How near but yet so far for Glebe to lose out in a sudden death penalty shoot-out. Glebe with the wind behind them took the lead with a goal scored by Ian Christie. Newington came back to equalise then Ian Christie scored again putting Glebe in front at half-time. Things got better for Glebe early in the second half and after Jake Francis converted a penalty they went two goals clear and Newington went down to ten men after having a man sent off. Fate then played a part in the Newington second goal as the ball from a corner kick was caught in the strong wind deceiving everyone and ended up in the top corner of the Glebe net. Newington then threw caution to the wind after this forcing an equaliser with a few minutes of normal time left. Extra-time saw no more goals the penalties were taken with both teams converting four of their first five. Glebe then had a sudden death penalty to win but missed then Newington scored to go through to the Semi-final.


                                                IFA INTERMEDIATE CUP 1st ROUND


                                DUNLOY                               9              SEAPATRICK     1

Dunloy got a shock when the visitors took an early lead in the game but then changed things around to lead five one at half-time and score another four goals in the second half. Dunloy goals were scored by Declan McGarry (3), Conal Dooey (2), Karl Fitzpatrick (2), Zac McConnell (1) and Benny McGarry (1).


                                RICHILL                               1              St JAMES SWIFTS            6

St James were soon into their stride in this game taking the lead after Padraig McCormack scored then added to more through Eugene Gallagher and Sean Donnelly. Fifteen minute were left to play when Substitute Martin McDonald came on for St James and scored a hat-trick before Richill got a consolation goal in the 90th minute.


                BALLYNAHINCH UNITED               3              CHIKNEY CORNER           2

Ballynahinch went in front on the 27th minute then added two more goals on the 31st and 38th minutes to lead three nil at half-time. The Corner got back into the game after Darren Selby converted a penalty on the 61st minute followed by his second goal on the 71st minute. After this the Corner went all-out for the equaliser but unfortunately time ran out on them


                                                JUNIOR DIVISIONS LEAGUE GAMES


                ANTRIM ROVERS                             4              WOODLANDS           3

League leaders Woodlands got off to a good start taking the lead after Alex Haggan scored on the 15th minute. Antrim soon replied to this with Tommy Bownes scoring on the 19th minute and this scoreline remained at half-time. Antrim went in front after Darren Adair scored on the 51st minute then Alex Haggan equalised for Woodlands on the 54th minute. Antrim went in front again after Josh Graham scored on the 69th minute then Stuart McCullough equalised for Woodlands on the 77th minute. Both teams went for the winner after this which went to Antrim after Conor Murray scored on the 88th minute.  Referee Mr. Gary Crawford


                NEWINGTON YC RES                      3              BRANTWOOD RES          0

After a steady start Newington went in front after Michael McArdle scored on the 23rd minute and still held this advantage at half-time. Newington doubled their advantage after Darren Fitzimmonds scored on the 53rd minute the secured the win after Harry Kelly scored on the 85th minute.            Referee Mr. Kenny Bigger


                DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              2              3rd BALLYCLARE OB          3

Desertmartin went in front after Matthew Mulholland scored on the 2nd minute then saw Dylan Lemahieu equalise for Ballyclare on the 22nd minute. Matthew Mulholland scored his second goal in the game on the 25th minute and this goal kept his team in front until an own goal equalised for Ballyclare on the 72nd minute. Both teams went in search of the winner after this with Marc Campbell scoring for Ballyclare on the 83rd minute.

Referee Mr. Ian Getty

                FC WHITEABBEY                              4              BALLYNURE OB ‘B’         1

This was a good win for Whiteabbey who went in leading by a goal scored by Chris Loy in the fitst –Half. Sean Cowler made it two nil for Whiteabbey before Karl Douglas scored goal number Three. Ballynure pullesd a goal back after scored the Chris Loy scored a second for Whiteabbey to secure the win.

Referee. Mr. Brian Leitch


                 CASTLE STAR                                   v              ANTRIM ROVERS SWIFTS           

Antrim Rovers Swifts forfeited game


                MALLUSK ATHLETIC                      3              68th NEWTOWNABBEY OB ‘A’          1

Mallusk took thel4ead after Matthew Fegan scored on the 5th minute then went to goals ahead after Jordan McCarey scored on the 12th minute. Ross Hunter made it three nil for Mallusk on the 28th minute and this scoreline remained at half-time. The second half Saw Mallusk defend their three goal lead until Tom Dougan converted a penalty for Newtownabbey on the 80th minute.      Referee Mr. Tommy Waide                   


                BRANTWOOD-LOUGHSIDE          2              NORTHEND UNITED YOUTH         2

Northend went in front after Matthew Logan scored on the 13th minute then followed this with his second goal on the 15th minute. After this play settled down and no more goals were scored in the first-half. Brantwood went looking for goals in the second half but it was late in the game through a brace of goals scored by Luke Watters on the 78th and 84th minutes that secured them a point.               Referee Mr. Paul Aston



                NORTH BELFAST UNITED             2              CARNLOUGH SWIFTS         0

The United went in front after Gareth Downey scored on the 15th minute and this goal separated the teams at half-time. The second half saw little to choose between the teams until Jason Bannon =converted a penalrty for the United on the 75thminute to secure the win.                Referee Mr. Trevor Higgins.


                                RED STAR                           2              BALLYCLARE NORTH END           0

Red Star went in front after Ben Hodge scored on the 16th minute and at half-time this goal still separated the teams.  Red Star doubled their lead on the 56th minute through a goal scored by Ricky Johnson and held this advantage until the final whistle.             Referee Mr. Russell Wilson


                WHITEHEAD RANGERS                 3              CARRICK ATHLETIC       2

This was a keenly contested derby game with the result in doubt up to the final whistle. The Rangers went in front after Matthew McFall scored then Ryan Clawson equalised for the Athletic before half-time. The Athletic went in front after Matthew Corr scored followed by an equaliser for the Rangers. Time was then beginning to run down when Glenn Jones headed in the winner for the Rangers.          Referee Mr. Robert Swann


                                                                MID-ULSTER SHIELD 2nd ROUND

                                ROCKVIEW UNITED         0              COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               1             

No goals were scored during the first-half of this game then the Olympic saw their penalty kick saved on the 50th minute. The Olympic kept pressing getting what proved to be the winning goal after Brian Mulligan scored on the 65th minute.


                                ASHGROVE ROVERS      2              COOKSTOWN RBL RES 1

Ashgrove went in front after 20 minutes of play then Jonny Taylor equalised for RBL on the 35th minute and this scoreline remained at half-time. Both teams had chances to score during the second half with the all important winner going to Asgrove on the 77th minute


COOKSTOWN YOUTH COLTS                     3              DUNGANNON TIGERS RES            1

This was a good win for the Young Colts team taking them into the 3rd Round of the Competition. The Colts goals were scored by Matthew Heagney (2) and James Leslie (1) with the visitors scoring once.


                                DAMOLLY UNITED           2              KILLYMOON RANGERS 4

Killymoon went in front after William Frizell scored early in the first-half. The home side came back to equalised followed by David Frizell scoring for Killymoon. Half-time was almost reached when Damolly got a second equaliser. Killymoon had the better of play in the second half and a brace of goals scored by Warren Smyth saw them though to the next round of the Competition


FIXTURES Week-Ending 4th November 2017

NOTE; League games Kick off @ 2.00pm                                     All Cup games kick off @ 1.30pm



Ballynure OB                       v              Chimney Corner                  @ Mossley park. Newtownabbey

Coagh United                        v              Cookstown Youth                 @ Hagan Park. Coagh

Desertmartin                        v              Bangor                                   @ Dromore Park. Desertmartin

Dunloy                                   v              Cookstown RBL                    @ McCamphill Park. Tullaghan Road. Dunloy


Crawford Cup 1st Round                                                                     

Sofia Farmer                         v              Newington YC Res               @ 3g Pitch MUSA. Cookstown


IFA Irish Cup 3rd Round                                                    

Newtowne                              v              Lisburm Distillery               @ Scroggy Road PF. Limavady

Immaculata                           v              Brantwood                             @ 3g Pitch Grosvenor PF. Belfast

UUJ Jordanstown                  v              Glebe Rangers                      @ 3g Pitch UUJ. Jordanstown


CAFA Steel & Sons Cup Quarter-Final                                          

Linfield Swifts                      v              St James Swifts                    @ Woodlands PF. Finaghy Road North Belfast


Junior Divisions League Games


3rd Ballyclare OB                 v              Desertmartin swifts             @ Foundry Lane. Ballyclare

Ballynure OB ‘B’                 v              Woodlands                             @ Mossley Park. Newtownabbey                       

Cookstown Olympic             v              FC Whiteabbey                     @ Beechway PF. Cookstown

Sport & Leisure S Res         v              Antrim Rovers                       @ 3g Pitch Valley PF. Newtownabbey



Antrim Rovers Swifts           v              Brantwood-Loughside          @ Allen Park. Castle Road. Antrim



68th N’abbey OB ‘B’             v              Carrick Athletic                   @ Threemilewater PF. Doagh Road. N’abbey


Canada Trophy

1st Round

Brantwood Res                      v              Northend United Youth       @ Skegoneil Avenue. Belfast

Red Star                                 v              Cookstown RBL Res             @ Woodburn PF. Carrickfergus

Killymoon Rangers              v              68th N’abbey OB ‘A’             @ Fairhill PF. Fairhill Road. Cookstown


Linda Welshman Memorial Cup

1st Round

Rathcoole FC                        v              Mallusk Athletic                  @ Diamond PF. Rathcoole  

Ballyclare North End           v              Castle Star                            @ Parkview Hockey Club. Doagh


2nd Round

North Belfast United            v              Clough Rangers Ath            @ Threemilewater PF. Doagh Road. N’abbey

Cookstown Youth Colts       v              Carnlough Swifts                 @ Grass Pitch MUSA. Cookstown

Whitehead Rangers              v              Greenisland WM                  @ Beltoy PF. Beltoy Road. Carrickfergus