REPORTS Week-Ending 29th April 2017

Apr 30 2017 12:58 PM


                                                                                Sponsored by

                                                     MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2016-17


Carnlough Swifts won the Linda Welshman Memorial Cup on Friday night then Coagh United won the Connon Cup as Winners of the Intermediate Division of the League on Saturday.


Carnlough Swifts beat 3rd Ballyclare OB by the odd goal in three in a thrilling Final played at Wellington Rec Ground Larne.


Its congratulations to Coagh who were hotly pursued by a number of Teams all Season who clinched the Title by winning at Dunloy 3-1 on Saturday with a game left to Play.


The runners up in the Intermediate Division will be decided on Tuesday night when Glebe Rangers host Wakehurst with Glebe having to win to overtake Wakehurst who require a Draw.


The winners of Junior Division One is a close one to call between Woodlands, Newington YC Res and Cookstown Youth.


McReynolds Cup Final Coagh United v Glebe Rangers will be played on Friday 5th May 2017 @ Allen Park Antrim Kick off 7.00pm



                                                LINDA WELSHMAN MEMORIAL CUP FINAL


                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    2              3rd BALLYCLARE OB          1

This final played on a very good surface at the home of Wellington Rec in Millbrook Larne had everything you could ask for as both teams went on the attack for the entire duration of the game. Ballyclare went in front on the 3rd minute after hesitancy in the Carnlough defence saw Sammy Duff take full advantage before picking his spot to score for Ballyclare. Carnlough were unlucky to see a cross cup shot from Henry Morgan come off the crossbar on the 10th minute. Carnlough got back on level terms on the 28th minute when a good move down the right wing saw Alexander Johnston score with a shot in the bottom corner of the net. Chances then came and went for both teams after this but at half-time the teams were still level. The second saw both teams on attack with lots of good football and chances for both teams but Keepers Robert Clarke for Ballyclare and Declan O’Neil for Carnlough keep their goals intact. The game was then going into stoppage time when a brilliant run by Philip McKendry from his own half down the right wing saw him pass the ball to Niall McAllister who in turn put Henry Morgan clear on the inside the box to rifle a shot into the Ballyclare net which sent the Carnlough support into raptures and won the game for Carnlough at the final whistle.

After the final whistle the League Chairman Ian Shiels Presented the Cup to the Carnlough Captain Henry Morgan.

The league also wish to thank Wellington Rec for the use of their excellent facilities and to the large crowd of spectators from both side who were in attendance..            




                                DUNLOY                               1              COAGH UNITED 3

Coagh went into this game knowing that a win would see them crowned Champions and it looked good for them after William Ferguson scored on the 18th minute. Half-time saw Coagh still a goal ahead then Mark Taylor doubled their lead on the 52nd minute and followed this with his second goal on the 65th minute. Dunloy never gave up the fight but it was late in the game when Declan Smyth converted a penalty on the 82nd minute but by then the Championship was on its way to Coagh.           Referee Mr. Noel Crossan


                                BALLYNURE OB                1              GLEBE RANGERS              2

Though both teams had a chance or two to score but no goals had been scored at half-time. A similar pattern of play followed in the second half until Kyle Agnew scored for Ballynure on the 75th minute. Play was then running down fast when Glebe hit Ballynure with two goals scored by Kris Nicholl a header on the 83rd minute and Jake Francis on the 87th minute.        Referee Mr. Keith Halliday


                                                                MID-WEEK LEAGUE

                MAGHERAFELT SKY BLUES         2              BALLYNURE OB                3

No goals had been scored when the referee blew the whistle for half-time. Things then changed early in the second half with Thomas Beattie scoring a brace of goal putting the Sky Blues two goals ahead. The game then went into the last ten minutes when Bobby Crowe scored for Ballynure on the 80th minute which was followed by two goals scored by Gerard Southam on the 84th and 87thminutes.                                Referee Mr. Noel Crossan


                                DUNLOY                               1              GLEBE RANGERS              3

Glebe went in front in this game after Ricky Dunlop scored on the 5th minute then doubled their advantage when Jonny Spence scored on the 12th minute. Glebe then went three goals clear after Sam Shaw scored on the 20th minute then saw Conor Reid pull a goal back for Dunloy on the 30th minute. After this flurry of goals there were lots more chances for both teams but no more goals were scored.  Referee Mr. Shane McGonigle





                                WOODLANDS                    3              COOKSTOWN YOUTH           1

Three points from this game to either team was vital in the top of the table clash. Woodlands drew first blood when Ross Oliver scored putting them in front then the Youth came back to equalise when Ally Young scored  to put the teams level at half-time. Woodlands went in front for a second time when Raymond Hammond scored with a superb free kick. The Youth then had to chase the game for a second time and got caught with Ross Oliver scoring his second goal in the game to secure the win for Woodlands.          Referee Mr. Gary Crawford


MALLUSK ATHLETIC                      0              COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               4

No goals were scored by either team during the first-half but this changed when Mark Meenan put the Olympic ahead from the penalty spot on the 47th minute. James McGahan then put the Olympic two goals clear on the 66th minute which was followed by goals scored by Mark Montague and Michael Meenan on the 79th and 88th minutes.                   Referee Mr. Russell Kennedy


                                BRANTWOOD RES          1              NEWINGTON YC RES      3

The first-half was a very close game with a goal scored by Steven Hylands on the 42nd minute dividing the teams at half-time. Newington got back on level terms after Michael McArdle scored on the 47th minute then went in front after Pardep Hawa scored on the 49th minute. Newington then went two goals clear after Mark Kelly converted a penalty on the 63rd minute and from then on Newington defended their two goal lead until the final whistle. Referee Mr. Kenny Hayton


                                                                  MID-WEEK LEAGUE

                                FC WHITEABBEY              2              ANTRIM ROVERS             2

Whiteabbey went in front after Robert Tourish scored on the 16th minute and this goal separated the teams until Jonny Rogers scored the equaliser for the Rovers on the 59th minute. Ryan O’Neil put Whiteabbey back in front on the 82nd minute then Tommy Bownes equalised for the Rovers on the 84th minute.

Referee Mr. Brian Leitch


                COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               0              COOKSTOWN YOUTH             6    

The Youth went in front after Kiefer Scott scored on the 15th minute then added two more goals with Ryan Glasgow and Drew Kelley scoring on the 36th and 52nd minutes. Mark Larmour made it four nil for the Youth on the 65th minute before a brace scored by Steven Arrell on the 65th and 85th minutes completed the scoring.

Referee Mr. Russell Wilson


                NEWINGTON YC RES                      4              RATHCOOLE FC               1

Newington went in front after Daniel Moore scored on the 35th minute then added a second on the 45th minute scored by Mark Kelly. Conal McKeown made it three nil on the 65th minute followed by Daniel Moore scoring on the 71st minute. Rathcoole pulled a goal back when Max Eden scored on the 82nd minute.       

Referee Mr. Richard Stewart


                                WOODLANDS                    0              NEWINGTON YC RES             3

Newington got off to a good start with Mark Kelly scoring on the 15th minute in this top of table clash. After this there was little to choose between the teams until Daniel Moore scored a second goal for Newington on the 68th minute. Woodlands had to take chances after this but got caught when Joseph Meaney scored a third goal for Newington to seal the win on the 80th minute.          Referee Mr. Samuel Forsythe



                                                                     All games completed



                                                                     No games scheduled


FIXTURES Week-Ending Saturday 6th May 2017


Tuesday 2nd May 2017                                                                       


Intermediate League

Kick off 7.45pm

Glebe Rangers                     v              Wakehurst                           @ Joey Dunlop Centre. Ballymoney


Kick off 7.15pm

Coagh United                        v              Ballynure OB                      @ Hagan Park. Coagh




Junior Division League                                                                     Kick off 7.15pm


Newington YC Res              v              Mallusk Athletic                 @ Grass Pitch Valley PF. Newtownabbey



Friday 5th May 2017                                                                            Kick off 7.00pm

McReynolds Cup Final


Coagh United                        v              Glebe Rangers                     @ Allen Park. Antrim



Saturday 6th May 2017


Sofia Farmer                        v              Ballynure OB                      @ Grass Pitch Beechway PF. Cookstown



Junior Division League


Cookstown Youth                v              Newington YC Res              @ 3g Pitch MUSA. Cookstown

FC Whiteabbey                    v              Sport & Leisure S Res      @ 3g Pitch UUJ. Jordanstown         




Ballyclare North End          v              Carnlough Swifts                @ Parkview Hockey Club. Doagh