REPORTS Week-Ending 30th September 2017

Oct 1 2017 4:26 PM


                                                                                Sponsored by

                                                     MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2017-18


No games were lost to wet conditions on Saturday after the recent heavy rain. In the Intermediate Division St James Swifts had to settle for a Point at Cookstown RBL. In the McReynolds Cup Sofia Farmer travelled to Bangor and won by the odd goal in five.

In the IFA Challenge Cup it was a mixed day of results with only Newtowne and Glebe Rangers winning through to the next round.

In the County Antrim Junior Shield Seven teams have won the way through to the 2nd Round  




                                COOKSTOWN RBL          1              St JAMES SWIFTS            1

RBL took the lead on the 3rd minute after the Swifts keeper misjudged a cross turning a cross into his own net. After this RBL defended well and at half-time still held the one goal advantage. The Swifts got back on level terms after Eugene Gallagher scored on the 58th minute then pressed hard for the winner but at the end had to settle for a point.                          Referee Mr. Paul Douglas


                                                          McREYNOLDS CUP 1st ROUND

                                BANGOR FC                       2              SOFIA FARMER                  3             

Sofia started off well and went in front after Ezequiel De Jesus scored on the 11th minute then doubled their advantage after Kayan Correia scored on the 25th minute. Half-time came with Sofia still two goals ahead then Bangor reduced the deficit after Kyle Woods scored on the 49th minute. Bangor pushed for the equaliser after this which came when Mark Magennis scored on the 70th minute. Sofia went back in front again after Ezequiel De Jesus scored on the 77th minute and held this lead until the final whistle.        Referee Mr. Cecil Floyd      


                                                                IRISH CUP 2nd ROUND

                                ARMAGH CITY                   2              COAGH UNITED                 0

Clear chances were scarce in the first-half though Armagh capitalised on one near half-time to be in front at the break. Coagh tried hard to get back on level terms but got caught on the break mid-way through the second half conceding a second goal.


                                DUNLOY                               1              PORTSTEWART                2      (After Extra time)

Dunloy started off well and had the better of the play taking the lead after Zac McConnell scored on the 22nd minute. Half-time saw Dunloy still ahead then on the 70th minute the referee awarded Portstewart a penalty and sent off the Dunloy Keeper who had made a save.  Dunloy were certainly shocked by the decision and even though a man down they took the game into extra-time. The game was then in the last minute when Portstewart scrambled a very fortunate winner.


                                BALLYWALTER REC       6              BALLYNURE OB                3

The home side went in front early in the game then Stevie Howe equalised for Ballynure. The home side then went on to lead 4-1 before Rodd Davidson pulled a goal back for Ballynure before half-time. Chris McIlwaine scored a third goal for Ballynure early in the second half then Ballynure had two men sent off on the 55th and 60th minutes. With two men down Ballynure chances had gone conceding two more goals and were certainly not happy with the Referees performance. 


                                NEWTOWNE                       4              DESERTMARTIN               2

Newtowne went in front after Ryan Twist scored on the 15th minute then doubled their lead after Ian Crockett scored on the 32nd minute. Desertmartin got back into the game after David Rowe scored on the 48th minute and were back on level terms when Solomon Lubwama scored on the 53rd minute. After this chances came and went then on the 90th minute the referee awarded Newtowne a penalty which was disputed by Desertmartin. Blain Morrison converted the penalty and on the 92nd minute Andy Ferris scored number four for Newtowne.

                                      SARIO                            4              BRANTWOOD                   0

Brantwood conceded a goal on the 12thminute and after this never really got into teh game against their near neighbours conceding another three goals.


                                GLEBE RANGERS              3              ROSEMOUNT REC            0

The teams had met against each other in the Steel & Sons Cup at Rosemount the previous week with Glebe winning 4-2. Glebe went in at half-time leading by a goal scored by Ian Christie on the 33rd minute then early in the second half the visitors had a man sent off. Glebe increased their lead after Jake Francis scored on the 65th minute then on the 90th minute Aaron Weir scored number three.


                COOKSTOWN YOUTH                    2              CRAIGAVON CITY            2 (Craigavon win 5-4 pens)

The Youth were a little unfortunate to lose this game as it was a very late goal in extra-time that took the game to penalties. Drew Kelly put the Youth in front then the City came back to equalise taking the game into extra-time. Danny McElhatton put the Youth into the lead again before a goal in the dying minutes saw the game go to penalties with the City scoring 5 against 4 by the Youth.


                                                JUNIOR DIVISIONS LEAGUE GAMES


                DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              2              COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               6

The Olympic were in front after Nigel Johnston scored on the 5th minute then a goal scored by Jamie Maguire on the 17th minute saw the Olympic two goals clear. Gary Brown scored on the 25th minute to narrow the gap at half-time. Anthony Bell scored number three for the Olympic on the 50th minute followed by goals scored by Nigel Johnston and Brian Mulholland on the 62nd and 70th minutes. Desertmartin got a second goal when Will Suffering scored on the 75th minute before Nigel Johnston completed his hat-trick on the 85th minute.

Referee Mr. Matthew Shaw


                NEWINGTON YC RES                      4              FC WHITEABBEY              0

Newington notched up another win after scoring four goals without reply. Daniel Moore got Newington off to a good start which was followed by goals scored by David Findlay, Brent Esler and Daniel Moore.

Referee Mr. Gary Crawford



                ANTRIM ROVERS SWIFTS            2              68th NEWTOWNABBEY OB ‘A’         2

This was a very close game with it being won by the odd goal in five. Alan Jones put the Swifts in front on the 6th minute then saw Davy Blair equalise for the 68th on the 28th minute. The Swifts went in front again after Alan Jones scored his second goal on the 33rd minute but back came the 68th with Davy Blair scoring his second goal on the 35th minute. Play was then evenly divided in the second half and it was an own goal conceded on the 68th minute that won the game for the Swifts.  Referee Mr. Tommy Waide               


                BRANTWOOD-LOUGHSIDE          1              CLOUGH RANGERS ATHLETIC    3

There was nothing to choose between the teams until a brace of goals scored by Richard Ross on the 40th and 42nd minutes that saw Clough two goals clear at the break. Clough then went three goals clear after Gary Hamilton scored on the 70th minute and held this until the 90th minute when Luke Watters pulled a goal back for Brantwood.    Referee Mr. Paul Aston


                MALLUSK ATHLETIC                      3              NORTHEND UNITED YOUTH              0

Mallusk went in front after Ian Walker scored on the 2nd minute then went two up after Matty Fegan scored on the 11th minute. Matty Fegan scored his second goal on the 19th minute putting Mallusk three goals clear at half-time. Northend tried hard to get back into the game in the second half but Mallusk were in no mood to give up their advantage.      Referee Mr. Mark O’Neil    


                KILLYMOON RANGERS                 2              COOKSTOWN RBL RES                       1

This was a closely contested derby game with the result in doubt right up to the final whistle. Killymoon got off to a flying start with Trevor Brownlee scoring on the 1st minute of the game. This scoreline remained until Raymond Greer equalised for RBL on the 43rd minute. Play was evenly divided in the second half with the winner being scored by Ricky Donaghy for Killymoon on the 80th minute.  Referee Mr. Brian Leitch



                BALLYCLARE NORTH END           1              CARRICK ATHLETIC                               2

This was a very close game for the entire ninety minutes. Chances came and went but no goals were scored during the first-half. North End then went in front after Ryan Douglas converted a penalty on the 50th minute followed by David White equalising for the Athletic on the 55th minute. After this both teams had numerous chances to score but only one was taken when Matty Corr scored what proved to be the winner for the Athletic on the 67th minute.    Referee Mr. Ian Shiels


                                RATHCOOLE FC               9              RED STAR           1

The Rathcoole bandwagon rolls on with another good win thanks to goals scored by Alex Crawford 4, Taylor Blair, Paul Waite, Glenn Maine, Andy Neil and an OG and Aaron Richards scoring for Red Star.

Referee Mr. Robert Swann


                68th NEWTOWNABBEY OB ‘B’     0              NORTH BELFAST UNITED             4

North Belfast went in front in this game after Blair Hunter scored on the 25th minute. As half-time was approaching two goals scored by Gareth Downey and James Brown on the 40th and 44th minute put North Belfast in the driving seat. North Belfast got a fourth goal when Gareth Downey scored on the 70th minute.

Referee Mr. Trevor Higgins.


                                                COUNTY ANTRIM JUNIOR SHIELD 1st ROUND


                                                FORD CC             5              ANTRIM ROVERS             3

The home side went in front on the 3rd minute then Tommy Bownes equalised for Antrim on the 9th minute. The home side then scored on the 23rd, 31st and 41st minutes. Antrim came back with goals scored by Gareth Cromie and Craig Evans on the 53rd and 68th minutes cutting the deficit to a single goal. Antrim went all-out for the equaliser but got caught conceding a fifth goal on the 88th minute.


                                BRANTWOOD RES          6              LAMBEG RANGERS         0

Brantwood took an early lead in the game with Jordan Kernoghan scoring. After this Brantwood went on to score another five goals through Stephen McCormick, Stephen Wilson, Adrian Murphy, Jordan McMaster and Tyler McMaster


                                DUNDRUM UNITED           0              CASTLE STAR       1

With the ground at Dundrum not playable the game was switched to Carrickfergus which saw Castle winning the game thanks to a goal scored by Warren Brown on the 10th minute.


                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    1              SPORTING LISBURN       3

Its goals that win games and in this game the visitors took more of their chances then the home side to progress into the next round.


                                NEW SANTOS                    2              WHITEHEAD RANGERS  1

The home side took the lead early in the game then Matthew McFall equalised fort the Rangers before half-time. The second half was a nip and tuck affair with the home side scoring the only goal in the half to take the win.


FIXTURES    Week-Ending 7th October 2017



Brantwood                             v              Cookstown RBL                  @ Skegoneil Avenue Belfast

Newtowne FC                        v              Ballynure OB                      @ Scroggy Road. PF. Limavady

Coagh United                        v              Bangor                                  @ Hagan Park. Coagh

Desertmartin                       v              Glebe Rangers                     @ Dromore Park. Desertmartin

Sofia Farmer                        v              Dunloy                                   @ 3g Pitch MUSA. Cookstown

St James Swifts                   v              Cookstown Youth                @ Woodlands PF. Finaghy Rd North. Belfast

Chimney Corner                 Free


Junior Division League Games


Sport & Leisure S Res      v              Desertmartin Swifts           @ 3g Pitch. Valley PF. Newtownabbey

Cookstown Olympic            v              Brantwood Res                     @ Beechway PF. Cookstown

Antrim Rovers                     v              FC Whiteabbey                    @ Allen Park. Castle Road. Antrim

Ballynure OB ‘B’                v              Newington YC Res              @ Mossley Park. Newtownabbey

3rd Ballyclare OB                v              Woodlands                            @ Foundry Lane. Ballyclare



Cookstown RBL Res          v              Castle Star                           @ Fairhill  PF. Fairhill Road. Cookstown

Clough Rangers Athletic  v              Northend United Youth       @ Clough PF. Cloughwater Road. Clough

Cookstown Youth Colts      v              68th N’abbey OB ‘A’            @ Grass Pitch. MUSA. Cookstown

Antrim Rovers Swifts         v              Mallusk Athletic                 @ Allen Park. Castle Road. Antrim

Brantwood-Loughside                        Request Free Date

Killymoon Rangers                             Free



Red Star                                v              Carrickfergus Athletic     @ Woodburn PF. Carrickfergus

North Belfast United           v              Whitehead Rangers            @ Threemilewater PF. Doagh Rd. N’abbey

Carnlough Swifts                v              Greenisland WM                  @ Stoneyhill Park. Ballymena Rd. Carnlough

68th N’abbey OB ‘B’            v              Ballyclare North End          @ Threemilewater PF. Doagh Road. N’abbey

Rathcoole FC                                        Free


All Games kick off @ 2.00pm