REPORTS Week-Ending 3rd December 2016

Dec 4 2016 2:22 PM


                                                            Sponsored by

                                           MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2016-17


Saturday saw all games played as planned except the 18th Newtownabbey III Canada Trophy tie against FC Whiteabbey. Unfortunately 18th could not get the commitment from players they had hoped for and have had to call an end to their season. The big question is this a sign of the times as we find councils have a surplus of pitches due to teams folding across football since the season started.

On the domestic front Glebe Rangers with an odd goal in three win over Wakehurst have claimed a place on the Final of the McReynolds Cup.

The Mid-Ulster Bob Radcliffe Cup semi-final sagas drags on and it may be played this Saturday 10th December.


The more important question someone has to answer is, why have NIFL teams been allowed to play league games in preference to Divisional Association Cup Games?




                                                NEWTOWNE                       7              DUNLOY               3

Goals were the order of the day in this high scoring game which saw Dunloy go down to ten men on the 35th minute after having a man sent off. Newtowne were in front after Paul McIvor scored on the 2nd minute then doubled their lead after Ryan Logue scored on the 9th minute. Dunloy pulled a goal back after Declan McGarry scored on the 22nd minute but went two behind again after Paul McIvor scored his second goal on the 29th minute. The sending off then came and with the game in the 45th minute Paul McIvor completed his hat-trick. Ryan Logue scored his second goal on the 51st minute followed by Paul McIvor scoring his fourth on the 55th minute.  Both teams then had man sent off on the 70th minute before Karl Fitzpatrick pulled a goal back for Dunloy on the 72nd minute. Ruairi Hassan then completed the scoring when he scored on the 78th minute.

Referee Mr. Stephen Wallace


                                                                                   McREYNOLDS CUP

                                                                                                1st ROUND

                                                SOFIA FARMER 5              BALLYNURE OB                7

What a Cup Tie with Ballynure racing into a six nil lead then hanging on at the end to win 7-5. Mark Duff put Ballynure ahead on the 15th minute then goals scored by Josh McIlroy 20th and Kevin Amuneke 25th and 28th minutes saw Ballynure four goals to the good. Ballynure then extended their lead with goals scored by Barry Penney and Robert Watson on the 30th and 33rd minute before Sofia pulled two goals back on the 39th and 42nd minutes scored by Timmy Sanca. Sofia then went on to score three more goals with Timmy Sanca completing his hat-trick on the 56th  minute and a brace scored by Sergio Duarte 60th and 64th minutes cutting the deficit to a single goal. Sofia cause was not helped when they had a man sent off when well in the game then on the 77th minute Kevin Amuneke completed his hat-trick to seal the win for Ballynure.        Referee Mr. Mark Irwin

                                                                                                2nd ROUND

                                                COAGH UNITED 2              MAGHERAFELT SKY BLUES         0

The result of this cup tie was in doubt right up to stoppage time when Coagh scored their second goal. Coagh went in front after James Ferguson scored on the 5th minute and at half-time this goal still separated the teams. Chances came and went in the second half for both teams but no goals were scored. The game then went into stoppage time when Andy Neil popped up to score a crucial second goal for Coagh to seal the win and the Sky Blues also had a man sent off in the final minute.             Referee Mr. Colin Rainey


                                                GLEBE RANGERS              2              WAKEHURST     1

Goals are what win games and in this semi Glebe were a bit more clinical around the goals then Wakehurst. Both teams had a chance or two before Lee Mitchell opened the scoring for Glebe on the 37th minute who held this advantage at half-time. Glebe pushed forward in the second half getting a second goal after Ian Christie scored on the 75th minute. Wakehurst then pushed everyone forward getting back into the game when Kurtis McCartney scored on the 85th minute. Wakehurst then threw caution to the wind in teh final minutes but Glebe held firm to claim a spot in the final later in the season.         Referee Mr. Sean Nolan


                                                           NORTH WEST CRAIG MEMORIAL CUP


                                                ARDSTRAW                       4              DESERTMARTIN               0

Desertmartin early season form seems to have deserted them at present and as a result made their exit from the competition conceding four goals and failing to take any of the chances they created.





                                NEWINGTON YC RES                      6              ANTRIM ROVERS             0

This was a good win for Newington who went ahead after Daniel Moore scored on the 8th minute. Newington added a second goal on the 33rd minute scored by Dave Finlay and this scoreline remained at half-time. Daniel Moore scored his second goal in the game on the 53rd minute and completed his hat-trick on the 66th minute. Time was beginning to run down when Paul Hanvey scored on the 83rd minute and Mark Kelly on the 90th minute completing the scoring. Referee Mr. Trevor Higgins              

                                DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              3              COOKSTOWN YOUTH    5

Desertmartin went in front after Chris Kerr converted a penalty on the 6th minute then doubled their lead after Solomon Lubwama scored on the 14th minute. The Youth got on the score sheet after Mark Megarry scored on the 30th minute and this score remained at half-time. The Youth got back level after Mark Megarry scored his second goal on the 52nd minute and then completed his hat-trick on the 61st minute. Mark Larmour got in on the scoring act for the Youth on the 65th minute then Gary Brown scored for Desertmartin on the 68th minute. Desertmartin then went all-out for the equaliser but this cost them getting caught with Paul Stewart scoring a crucial goal for the Youth on the 76th minute.                     Referee Mr. Ian Getty

                                COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               2              WOODLANDS    1

This as an impressive win for the Olympic against the league leaders who were the last remaining unbeaten team across the Four Divisions this season. Woodlands got off to a great start taking the leading after Ross Oliver headed the ball in to the Olympic net on the 4th minute. The Olympic got back on level terms after Chris Eastwood converted a penalty on the 15th minute and at half-time the teams were still level. Both teams created a few good chances in the second half but only one was taken by Conor O’Hare who scored the all important third goal in the game on the 72nd minute.                          Referee Mr. Bert Purdy



                CLOUGH RANGERS ATHLETIC    5              68th OB’A’            1

This was another good win for Clough who have certainly improved over the past few weeks after a slow start to the season. Clough went in front after Chris Aitcheson scored on the 17th minute. The 68th equalised when Keeper Eddie Bell converted a penalty on the 29thminute. Clough went in front again with Bryan Logan scoring on the 39th minute putting them in front at half-time. Clough were certainly the more dominant team in the second half scoring another three goals though Winston Wylie 66th, Richard Ross 77th and John Rice 87th minutes.                 Referee Mr. Rodney Campbell            


                                COOKSTOWN RBL RES 1              WAKEHURST STROLLERS           5

The Strollers went in front on the 9th minute through a good goal scored by Sammy Burns then added a second goal with Tom Campbell scoring on the 27th minute giving them a two goal cushion at half-time. Wakehurst keeper Ryan McKenna then saved a penalty before Sammy Burns scored his second goal on the 67th minute. Wakehurst extended their lead when Sub Aaron Gault scored with his first touch of the ball on the 79th minute then Gareth Hull pulled a goal back for RBL on the 80th minute. Play was then in stoppage time when Aaron Gault scored his second goal on the 92nd minute.     Referee Mr. Russell Kennedy

                                                3rd BALLYCLARE OB       7              CASTLE STAR   3

This was not the result the Star were expecting after coming from conceding an own goal to lead by two goals scored by Dean Meneely early in the fist-half. Steve Howe equalised for Ballyclare followd by goals scored by Aaron Gilmore and a brace from Steve Howe to complete his hat-trick before half-time. Early in the second half Steve Howe brought his tally to four before Dean Meneely completed his hat-trick scoring a third for Castle. Steve Howe then completed the scoring on the day after he scored his fifth goal in the game.            

Referee Mr. Gary Crawford

                                                                REMO FC             2              BALLYNURE OB ‘B’         1

This was a big win for Remo against the league leaders who had lost the first league game the previous week. Ballynure had a changed line-up due to the needs of the 1st team but this does not detract from the Remo performance who has been steadily building up a strong squad as the season has progressed. Chances came and went for both teams but no goals were scored during the first-half. Remo went on front after Paul Magill scored on the 60th minute then Jonny Kane equalised for Ballynure on the 75th minute. Both teams went for the winner after this then with the game in the 85th minute Jason Bannon struck home the winning goal for Remo.

Referee Mr. Brian Leitch



                                ANTRIM ROVERS SWIFTS            9              1st CARRICKFERGUS OB                2             

Carrickfergus took an early lead with Phil Crozier scoring on the 2nd minute then Glenn Vance equalised for the Swifts on the 4th minute. Charlie O’Grady hit a brace of goals on the 44th and 57th minutes followed by Jonny Rogers 60th and Jon Smyth 63rd minutes. Charlie O’Grady completed his hat-trick on the 69th minute from the penalty spot before Phil Crozier scored for Carrick on the 78th minute. The Swifts went on to score three more goals by Glenn Vance 83rd and 88th minute to complete his hat-trick and Alan Moore on the 85th minute.

Referee Mr. Richard Stewart

                                                                CANADA TROPHY 1st ROUND

                                MALLUSK ATHLETIC                      4              RED STAR           0

After a steady start by both teams Curtis Stirling scored on the 26th minute putting Mallusk in front. Half-time was almost reached when Mallusk doubled their lead with Bobby Corrigan scoring on the 40th minute. Worse was to follow for Red Star as they conceded an own goal on the 43rd minute giving Mallusk a three goal cushion at the break. Red Star tried hard to get back into the game in the second half but after Bobby Corrigan scored his second goal and number four for Mallusk on the 60th minute the result was never in doubt.               

Referee Mr. Kenny Hayton

                                                SHORE ROAD YM             2              BRANTWOOD RES          8

Brantwood took the lead after Mark Tweedie scored on the 17th minute then two more goals scored by Ross Cowan and Brian Wilson on the 32nd and 39th minute saw Brantwood three goals clear. Shore Road pulled a goal back after Alvin Carson scored on the 40th minute then Gareth McAuley replied scoring number four for Brantwood on the 45th minute. Brantwood then extended their lead with goals scored by Mark Tweedie 49th, Gareth McAuley 54th and Steve Hylands 75th minutes before Jake Sloan scored for Shore Road on the 82nd minute. With time running out Steve Hylands completed the scoring on the 88th minute.

Referee Mr. Paul Aston

                                                                CANADA TROPHY 2nd ROUND

                                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    1              SPORT & LEISURE SWIFTS RES    5

The Sports took an early lead in this game after Emil Jackson scored on the 3rd minute but this goal was the only one scored until Emil Jackson scored his second on the 39th minute. Carnlough got back into the game after Andy Johnston scored on the 56th minute. The Sports scored three more goals through Gerard McCann 70th and 89th and Tom Dixon 79th minutes to complete the scoring. The Swifts task was not helped with them having two met sent off during the game.        Referee Mr. Russell Wilson


                                                         LINDA WELSHMAN MEMORIAL CUP

                                                                                      3rd ROUND

                                BALLYCLARE NORTH END           3              BRANTWOOD-LOUGHSIDE          2

This was a good evenly matched game with the result being decided by the odd goal in five. Though there had been early chances the first goal was scored by Craig Jenkins on the 32nd minute putting North End in front. Half-time was then approaching when Anthony McCudden scored on the 38th minute doubling the North End lead. Brantwood hit back early in the second half with Sam Davis scoring on the 49th minute. North End went two goals in front again after Russell Lyness scored on the 65th minute then Brantwood hit back with Stewart Moore scoring on the 77th minute. Brantwood pushed hard for the equaliser after this but North End held out for the win.        Referee Mr. Kenny Bigger




FIXTURES Saturday 10th December 2016                     All Kick off 2.00pm unless where Stated)


Bob-Radcliffe Cup Semi-final                                                           Kick off 1.30pm

Newry City                            v              Coagh United                        @ Newry Showground’s



IFA Intermediate Cup 2nd Round                                                      Kick off 1.30pm

Limavady United                 v              Wakehurst                           @ Limavady Showground’s


Intermediate League Games

Ballynure OB                      v              Brantwood                             @ Mossley Park. Newtownabbey

Desertmartin                       v              Newtowne                              @ Dromore Park. Desertmartin

Glebe Rangers                     v              Magherafelt Sky Blues      @ Joey Dunlop Centre. Ballymoney               

Chimney Corner                                 Request free Date               

Dunloy                                                   Request free Date


Crawford Cup 2nd Round                                                    Kick off 1.30pm

Sofia Farmer                        v              Woodlands                            @ Allen Park. Antrim

Rathcoole FC                        v              Cookstown RBL                  @ Diamond PF. Rathcoole. Newtownabbey


Junior Divisions League Games



Newington YC Res              v              FC Whiteabbey                    @ 3gc Pitch Valley PF. Newtownabbey

Brantwood Res                     v              Mallusk Athletic                 @ Skegoneil Avenue. Belfast

Sport & Leisure S Res      v              Desertmartin Swifts           @ Grass Pitch Valley PF. Newtownabbey



Ballynure OB ‘B’                v              Castle Star                           @ Mossley Park. Newtownabbey

68th OB ‘A’                           v              Cookstown RBL Res          @ Threemilewater PF. Newtownabbey

Wakehurst Strollers         v              3rd Ballyclare OB                @ 3g Pitch Ballymena Showground’s

Clough Rangers Athletic                  Request free Date               

Remo FC                                               Request free Date



Brantwood-Loughside        v              Carnlough Swifts                @ Loughshore PF. Shore Road. Belfast

Red Star                                v              18th Newtownabbey              @ Woodburn PF. Carrickfergus

1st Carrickfergus OB        v              68th OB ‘B’                           @ Beltoy PF. Carrickfergus

Whitehead Rangers            v              Antrim Rovers Swifts         @ Castleview Road. Whitehead

Ballyclare North End          v              Shore Road YM                    @ Parkview Hockey Club. Doagh


 Canada Trophy 2nd Round                                                 Kick off 1.30pm

Mountainview                       v              Antrim Rovers                     @ Pitch 5 Grove PF. Jellicoe Ave. Belfast


Mid-Ulster Shield 4th Round                                                         Kick off 1.30pm

Rosstrevor                            v              Cookstown Youth                @Rosstrevor. County Down

Cookstown Olympic            v              Greenfield Park                  @ Beechway PF. Cookstown