REPORTS Week-Ending 5th November 2016

Nov 6 2016 4:12 PM


                                                            Sponsored by

                                           MICHELIN ATHLETIC CLUB

        SEASON 2016-17


The best wishes of everyone for a quick recovery are extended to the Dunloy Goalkeeper Conor McGilligan who after an accidental collision with a team mate was taken to Hospital by Ambulance and had an Emergency Operation on Saturday night to have his spleen removed.

 Saturday was not a good day for our teams in the 3rd Round of the Irish Cup. Glebe Rangers lost out suffering from a missed penalty in normal time and then in a penalty shoot-out, Wakehurst lost by the odd goal in three and Sofia Farmer lost by two goal to nil.  

On the league front a number of teams improved their positions across all Four Divisions which bodes well for an interesting second half to the season.

Carnlough Swifts reached the semi-final of the Linda Welshman Memorial Cup by beating Antrim Rovers Swifts by the odd goal in three.




                                                DUNLOY FC                        3              BALLYNURE OB                2

There was little to choose between the teams until John John McFerran scored to put Dunloy in front on the 15th minute. Ballynure came back to equalise through Daniel Ellis on the 30th minute and this score remained until half-time. Ballynure went on front after Kevin Amnueke scored on the 55th minute then Dunloy replied with Karl Fitzpatrick scoring on the 66th minute. Dunloy went in front after Ballynure conceded an own goal on the 76th minute this goal proving to be the winner. Unfortunately the Dunloy Keeper Conor McGilligan who had been injured in an accidental collision during the game had to be taken to hospital by Ambulance resulting in Emergency Surgery on Saturday Night.                Referee Mr. Gary Thompson

                                                BRANTWOOD                   1              MAGHERAFELT SKY BLUES         5

The Sky Blues took an early lead when Ciaran Monaghan scored on the 8th minute this goal separating the teams until Ross McKee doubled the Sky Blues lead on the 35th minute. Brantwood got back into the game after Mark Tweedie scored on the 60th minute but two more goals scored by Diarmuid Larkin and Jake Taylor on the 74th and 88th minutes put the Sky Blues in a strong position. Diarmuid Larkin then converted a penalty on the 92nd minute to complete the scoring on the day.            Referee Mr. Jimmy Johnston

                                                DESERTMARTIN               0              CHIMENY CORNER          2

Defences had the upper hand during the first-half resulting in no goals being scored. This changed during the second half with Carlos Djalo scoring a brace of goals on the 61st and 65th minutes which won all three points for the Corner at the final whistle.         Referee Mr. Joshua Porter

                                                NEWTOWNE                       3              COAGH UNITED 2

After a steady start by both teams Coagh went in front after Steven Glasgow scored on the 29th minute then doubling their lead after Danny McKinless scored on the 47th minute. Newtowne got back into the game after Gary Moore scored on the 72nd minute reducing the deficit to a single goal. The game was then in stoppage time when Gary Moore scored his second goal on the 93rd minute and he then completed his hat-trick scoring on the 97th minute that won the game for Newtowne.             Referee Mr. Noel Crossan


                                                                       CRAWFORD CUP 1st ROUND

                                                RATHCOOLE FC               4              SPORT & LEISURE SWIFTS RES    2 (aet)

The Sports went in front on the 1st minute through a goal scored by James Johnston then Rathcoole hit back with Ross Watters scoring the equaliser on the 15th minute. After these early goals no more were scored until Conor McKissock score for teh Sports on the 73rd minute. Rathcoole came back to equalise when Ryan Gurney scored on the 76th minute taking the game into extra-time. Rathcoole went on to win the game with goals scored by Colin Milligan 95th minute and Darren Rowley on the 105th minute.            Referee Mr. Russell Wilson


                                                IRISH CUP 3rd ROUND

GLEBE RANGERS                              3              GROVE UNITED    4    (After Penalties)

Glebe suffered again for missing penalties as they had a great chance to take the lead on the 42nd minute but missed from the penalty spot. No goals were scored in the first-half then Glebe rattled the Grove crossbar twice in the second half but again no goals. No goals were scored in extra-time and in the penalty shoot-out Grove scored four to three by Glebe.

TOBERMORE UNITED                     2              WAKEHURST     1

Tobermore went in front on the 3rd minute and got a second goal just before half-time. Wakehurst got back into the game after Zac Barr scored on the 71st minute then had Tobermore on the back foot but could not get the elusive equaliser their play deserved.

                                SOFIA FARMER                 0              WINDMILL STARS           2

Its goals that win games and this was certainly evident by this result. Windmill let Sofia have lots of the ball in the middle of the park plying the skills but unable to apply the finish against a well organised defence. Windmill used the direct route scoring two and Sofia with no cutting edges scoring none





                                                COOKSTOWN RBL          1              DESERTMARTIN SWIFTS              0

This was a very close game between two evenly match teams and at the final whistle it was a goal scored by Danny Dowd that gave the league leader s all three points.         Referee Mr. Bert Purdy

                                                ANTRIM ROVERS             3              MALLUSK ATHLETIC          0

The Rovers went in front after Gary Wilkinson scored on the 9th minute then added a second goal after Jordan McKelvey scored on the 15th minute. The Rovers then went three goals in front after Gary Wilkinson scored his second goal on the 28th minute and this scoreline remained at half-time. Mallusk tried hard to get back into the game on the second half but the Rovers kept the game tight to claim all three points at the final whistle.

Referee Mr. Paul Aston

                                                FC WHITEABBEY              3              BRANTWOOD RES          5

Ryan O’Neil scored a hat-trick during the first-half for Whiteabbey who unfortunately conceded five goals scored by Gareth McAuley (2), Steven Hylands (2) and Pater Griffith that won the points for Brantwood.

Referee Mr. Samuel Forsythe

                                                WOODLANDS                    6              COOKSTOWN OLYMPIC               4

The Olympic went in front after Niall Doyle scored on the 3rd minute of this high scoring game. Woodlands came back with goals scored by Ross Oliver (2) and Alex Haggan to lead by two goals before Conor O’Hare scored a second for the Olympic on the 42nd minute. Raymond Hammond scored number four for Woodlands then Barry Potter got a third for the Olympic on the 62nd minute. Alex Haggan and Thomas Ogilvie made it 6-3 before Matty Hughes scored the final goal in the game on the 73rd minute.            Referee Mr. Gary Crawford



                                MOUNTAINVIEW                              1              BALLYNURE OB ‘B’         1

Chances came and went for both teams in the first-half but no goals were scored. A similar pattern of play followed in the second half until Ross McFaul scored for Ballynure on the 78th minute. Mountainview replied with James Morrison scoring on the 82nd minute giving the teams a share of the points at the end.

Referee Mr. Rodney Campbell

                                                REMO FC                             4              CASTLE STAR   3

Remo went in front after Jason Bannon scored on the 5th minute then doubled their lead after James Brown scored on the 32nd minute. Castle Star hit back with Dean Meneely scoring a brace of goals on teh 50th and 56th minutes. James Brown put Remo back in font on the 72nd minute then Dean Meneely completed his hat-trick on the 77th minute. Time was then almost up when James Brown completed his hat-trick scoring with a thunderous free kick on the 88th minute sealing the win for Remo.  Referee Mr. Lee Patterson

                CLOUGH RANGERS ATHLETIC    3              COOKSTOWN RBL RES 1

There were a number of near misses during the first-half this game but the scoreline remained blank until William Gregg scored putting Clough in front on the 49th minute, Cookstown hit back with Stuart Donaghy scoring the equaliser on the 61st minute. Play then went into the final five minutes when Clough won the game with goals scored by Gary Hamilton and Richard Ross on the 85th and 89th minutes.   

Referee Mr. Brian Patterson

                                3rd BALLYCLARE OB                       5              WAKEHURST STROLLERS           3

Wakehurst went in front after Matthew Logan scored on the 6th minute then Steve Howe scored the equaliser for Ballyclare on the 21st minute. Wakehurst went in font for a second time after George Fleck scored on the 26th minute then Marc Campbell equalised for Ballyclare on the 37th minute. Ballyclare went in front after Steve Howe scored his second goal on the 69th minute followed by David McLaughlin converting a penalty for Wakehurst.  Time was then beginning to run down when Steve Howe completed his hat-trick on the 76th minute and Dylan Reid completing the scoring on the 88th minute. Referee Mr. Kenny Bigger



                                WHITEHEAD RANGERS  2              RED STAR           0

The Rangers went in front after Danny Hastings scored on the 10th minute and held this advantage until Nigel Williams scored on the 32nd minute to double their lead at half-time. Red Star tried hard to get back into the game in the second half but Whitehead defended their two goals advantage until the final whistle.           

Referee Mr. Brian Leitch

                                                SHORE ROAD YM             1              BALLYCLARE NORTH END           1

North End went in front after Gareth Miller scored on the 3rd minute and at half-time this goal still separated the teams. Shore Road got back on level terms after Dave Morris scored on the 65th minute and though both teams had chances no more goals were scored.       Referee Mr. Charlie Pollock

                                                68th OB ‘B’                           0              BRANTWOOD-LOUGHSIDE          2

Both teams had a chance or two to score in the first-half but none were taken leaving the scoreline blank at the break. Brantwood then went in front after Jason Prause scored on the 62nd minute then sealed the win after Dave Shaw scored their second goal on the 80th minute.                Referee Mr. Trevor Higgins

                                18th NEWTOWNABBEY III              2              1st CARRICKFERGUS OB                8

Phil Crozier put Carrickfergus in front on the 13th minute then Newtownabbey equalised on the 18th minute. Ryan Clawson put Carrickfergus back in front on the 44th minute then completed his hat-trick with goals on teh 47th and 57th minutes. Phil Crozier then completed his hat-trick with goals on the 62st and 68th minutes followed by Paul Gillanders and Andy Scott scoring on the 72nd and 84th minutes. Time was then running out when Newtownabbey got a second goal.  Referee Mr. Ian Getty         


                                                                LINDA WELSHMAN MEMORIAL CUP

                                                                                          3rd ROUND

                                CARNLOUGH SWIFTS                    2              ANTRIM ROVERS SWIFTS            1

A semi-final place was up for grabs in this game with the winners then to play either Ballyclare North End or Brantwood-Loughside. Carnlough went in front early on after Henry Morgan scored then saw John Smyth hit back scoring the equaliser for Antrim on the 28th minute. Half-time was then approaching when Henry Morgan struck with this second goal putting Carnlough in front at the break. The second half saw Antrim try hard for the equaliser but Carnlough held form though Antrim will look back at two missed penalties which cost them dear.

Referee Mr. Richard Stewart             



FIXTURES Saturday 12th November 2016     All games Kick off @ 2.00pm unless where Stated


Intermediate League

Glebe Rangers                     v              Sofia Farmer                        @ Joey Dunlop Stadium Ballymoney

Chimney Corner                 v              Coagh United                        @ Allen Park. Antrim

Magherafelt Sky Blues      v              Desertmartin                       @ Spires Park. Magherafelt

Ballynure OB                      v              Wakehurst                           @ Mossley Park. Newtownabbey

Dunloy                                   v              Newtowne                              @ McCamphill Park. Dunloy

Brantwood                                             Free


Junior Division League Games


Woodlands                            v              Sport & Leisure S Res      @ Woodburn PF. Carrickfergus

Antrim Rovers                     v              FC Whiteabbey                    @ Allen Park. Castle Road. Antrim               

Mallusk Athletic                 v              Rathcoole FC                        @ If Mallusk can obtain a Ground?




Ballynure OB                      v              Cookstown RBL Res          @ Mossley Park. Newtownabbey

Castle Star                           v              3rd Ballyclare OB                @ Beltoy PF. Carrickfergus

Wakehurst Strollers         v              Mountainview                       @ 3g Pitch. Ballymena Showground’s

68th OB ‘A’                           v              Remo FC                               @ Threemilewater PF. Newtownabbey

Clough Rangers Athletic                  Free




Ballyclare North End          v              Antrim Rovers Swifts         @ Parkview Hockey Club. Doagh

Whitehead Rangers            v              18th Newtownabbey III         @ Castleview Road. Whitehead

Shore Road YM                    v              Brantwood-Loughside        @ Loughside PF. Shore Road. Belfast

1st Carrickfergus OB        v              Red Star                                @ Beltoy PF. Carrickfergus

Carnlough Swifts                v              68th OB ‘B’                           @ If Carnlough can obtain a Ground?



Mid-Ulster Shield 3rd Round                                                             Kick off 1.30pm

Cookstown Olympic            v              Lurgan BBOB                     @ Beechway PF. Cookstown

Cookstown Youth                v              Cookstown RBL                  @ MUSA. Cookstown



County Antrim Junior Shield 3rd Round                                        Kick off 1.30pm

Newington YC Res              v              Ballybogey                            @ 3g Pitch. Valley PF. Newtownabbey



North West Junior Cup 1st Round                                   Kick off 1.30pm

Desertmartin Swifts           v              Magherafelt Reds                @ Dromore Park. Desertmartin